Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pontiac Bonneville 1959 my first car?

Hello!

I`m interesting buy my first car Pontiac Bonneville 1959. I`m from Finland. I am 17 years old. Sorry, I write/speak bad english.

What do you think of my choice? Experiences Pontiac Bonneville 1959? Information this car?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

WELCOME!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             That is a great choice, First Year of the WIDE TRACK PONTIAC's.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             They are huge cars and very hard to find parts for. My friend had a stunning all original and it was amazing.                                                                                                                                                  Best of luck with your quest. Cheers.

48054236991_aec6eb63f7_b.jpg

Edited by SPRINT 6
  • Thanks 1

• Founders

Welcome! A '59 Bonnie is a fine vehicle. A first vehicle? I'm not sure but I'll let you judge that :) . Keep in mind that the driving safety and convenience features are nothing like today. No ABS, power steering, disk brakes, etc... It takes skill, planning and well, upper body strength to drive these dinosaurs. With the age of the vehicle, you may be needing to repair your beautiful Bonnie quite a bit if you plan on driving it daily and that may become expensive and time consuming. Especially as parts for these are hard to find plus you are living in a foreign country, that may compound that difficulty.

If I had to make an alternative suggestion, I would suggest a Pontiac from the 2000's. For a first car, they would be a little more forgiving, modern and safe while still having that Pontiac attitude :pontiac:.

Let us know if you have any questions about the Bonneville though and we'll be happy to give you a better idea.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Welcome! A '59 Bonnie is a fine vehicle. A first vehicle? I'm not sure but I'll let you judge that :) . Keep in mind that the driving safety and convenience features are nothing like today. No ABS, power steering, disk brakes, etc... It takes skill, planning and well, upper body strength to drive these dinosaurs. With the age of the vehicle, you may be needing to repair your beautiful Bonnie quite a bit if you plan on driving it daily and that may become expensive and time consuming. Especially as parts for these are hard to find plus you are living in a foreign country, that may compound that difficulty.

If I had to make an alternative suggestion, I would suggest a Pontiac from the 2000's. For a first car, they would be a little more forgiving, modern and safe while still having that Pontiac attitude :pontiac:.

Let us know if you have any questions about the Bonneville though and we'll be happy to give you a better idea.

Power steering is not found? I read that power steering can be found in local american car magazine (v8 magazine). Power steering option?

Kuva6697.jpg

Kuva6698.jpg

• Founders

I stand corrected, looks like Power Steering was an option on the 59 👍 . Keep in mind though it will be not as modern as today :) .

Finding one may be tough. Obviously, a little easier here in the States but you will definitely pay a pretty penny to get it shipped to over to you. If money is no object, that may be the way to go. ClassicCars.com is good eye candy but may be towards the higher-end of prices, still may be good to look at: https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1958-1959/pontiac/bonneville

Otherwise, may want to check in with any local Pontiac or USA classic car clubs in your area.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 31pontiac said:

Justa6, by any chance does that ‘59 belong to Dimitrie Toth?

Not sure 31....Frosty had a discussion with the owner of the red vert.  Sweet as ride, both of them.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:30 AM, 31pontiac said:

Justa6, by any chance does that ‘59 belong to Dimitrie Toth?

31 - yes it does belong to Dimitri Toth. I was introduced to him later in the day. Dimitri is a writer and a supporter of the new Pontiac Transportation Museum. I have his business card too.

i will post some pictures of his car a little later. It’s gorgeous!.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Thanks Frosty, thought it could be his. We met him a number of years ago at a POCI convention. Been reading his articles in Smoke Signals.Dimitri wrote a feature article about his car for that newsletter and kindly mentioned our ‘59 as adding to his desire to find one for himself. Hoping to see him and his Bonneville at our POCI convention in Gettysburg in July.

• Like 1

I certainly hope he makes it out there too. He’s a wealth of information, for sure.

Do you happen to have the Smole Signals article?

Edited by Frosty

redneck 276, sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Got a little off-topic from your original post.     Frosty, tried to DM the article to you. Hope I was successful. 

On 6/14/2019 at 1:08 AM, SPRINT 6 said:

These cars for sale this page? I don`t know.

http://www.2040-cars.com/

On 6/14/2019 at 4:24 AM, 31pontiac said:

We have owned our 1959 Bonneville since 1977.  It has power steering, power brakes, automatic power antenna, power seat, power windows, and speed alarm. Most of the Bonnevilles (but not all) had power steering and power brakes. They definitely do not drive like a modern car, but back in the day, most cars were of similar size and weight and had drum brakes with no anti-lock feature. If you drive it on a regular basis you will get used to how it handles and brakes and it will become second nature to you. If you must have disc brakes, there are conversion kits available. 

C0BA6634-4879-4CE2-800C-5C36B7ABD560.jpeg

41CE7F1D-D7DE-4BC6-943B-EAE52B26588A.jpeg

Also, I do not trailer this car. We drive it to every event we attend.

Wonderful car.

Edited by redneck276

8 hours ago, 31pontiac said:

redneck 276, sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Got a little off-topic from your original post.     Frosty, tried to DM the article to you. Hope I was successful. 

No problem. Where is the DM? I don't see it

On 6/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, redneck276 said:

I'm thinking that what is USA biggest car foorum or general foorum?

This and this:

http://www.2040-cars.com/,

2040 cars for sale cars?

• Founders
24 minutes ago, redneck276 said:

This part in all cars?

iyutyjt.PNG

fdzg.PNG

Good question. Tried to find some history on this badge but am not succeeding. Searching pictures though, it seems most Bonneville's do have this badging. (A few I found do not though but they looked heavily modified so could just have been preference) Maybe one of the other guys know a bit more about it than me.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:30 AM, redneck276 said:

This and this:

http://www.2040-cars.com/,

2040 cars for sale cars?

This website does not appear to be loading for me. I am getting a 404 error.

• Thanks 1

All body styles of Bonnevilles ( and only Bonnevilles ) had that badge on the door for 1959.  The greater question for me is why the Bonnevilles pictured have “Tri-Power” badges on the front fenders ?  Even if they were so equipped,  Bonnevilles did not have them due to an unbalanced look next to the badge on the door. Only lesser models got “Tri-Power” badging.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...