Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

69 rally gauges not working - where do I start

So I got this great 69 custom S off of ebay... rebuilt motor/trans, suspension done, new radiator, new everything really..... guy was great at mechanical. Then there is the electrical.... 

He was not so great at that. The tach that was in it was the wrong one... and he had a replacement for me which I switched out and it works great. The rally gauge cluster however.... does not. Its the one that has the gauge for temp, oil, and fuel, with the gen light at the bottom. I pulled the entire dash apart and made sure the circuit board (new) was on there correctly and all tight, the ground points were all attached and tight, and even added a few ground wires just in case. The tach and the speedo work fine.... but the last cluster does not work at all. I see the oil pressure move a little but everything else pegs out and stays there (car off or on). 

I would like to bench test this but do not know how to do so. If anyone knows the proper way to test I am all ears. I have a meter and plenty of resistors or a dc variable voltage power supply I can use to test. 

I really like how this gauge looks and dont really want to get a repop... any advise is welcomed. Thanks. 

Looks like the picture attached.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Solved!!!! I'm going to start another post telling what I found out and how to get your rally gauges going.

I had the same thing with my oil pressure, pegged out. Thought it was the oil sending unit but no, I found a wire going thru the firewall grounded out.