Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So about 2 weeks ago I took the ol' girl in to have the new wheels and tires put on and they look great! Driving home from the tire shop I might have made it about a mile and a half and the trans gave up the ghost. I was told that changing the fluid and filter was most likely what caused it. So I barrowed a buddy's lift and took the motor and trans out figuring i'd replace and touch up a few things. I've since replaced the master cylinder, all wheel cylinders and all brake lines just needing to connect the lines to the MC tomorrow. I knew there were a few small holes in the passenger's side floor board, but I was way wrong and the seats are coming out to replace that floor pan. Along with the new floor pan I'll be making a new transmission tunnel and fabricating a new transmission crossmember. Not sure who did the original motor/trans swap but the trans was actually pushed up touching the floor right behind the bellhousing and while the trans is bolted to the mount the plate they welded to the brace allowed for the long tail shaft to sit right on top of the brace causing vibration at both spots. I did get the trans back and I'll be starting the floor pan and trans work in the next couple days.  I'll get pics in the next couple of days if I remember but here's one of the trash inside of the pan and 1 of the floor pan.

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Actually looks like it had water in it. Changing the fluid will sometimes cause some concerns but not changing the fluid & filter will always cause problems. What year is the G/P ?? Why does it have a long tail in it. If you have the choice I'd replace the trans with the correct trans as you can end up with other concerns by having the wrong trans in the car.  Also if you drive it all the time & you aren't going back to 100% stock I'd install a 200r4 or a 700r4 tran sso you have an overdrive trans which will make long distance driving much easier on the engine, & it's just as easy to do & may even  be  cheaper.  How about some pics ??? 

Yes it did have moisture in it, most likely from sitting 9yrs before I got it. Its a 63' Grand Prix with a 68' 428 and 400 turbo. The original trans looks to have been a "Slim Jim" and I'm happy with the 400 turbo and used to run them in a couple of old Chevy's and race cars years ago. Had the guys that did the engine/trans swap did things the correct way there wouldn't be any problems with this set up. Unfortunately people get cars and do things to them not having any clue as to what they are doing and we're left figuring out what they did, how they did it and how to fix it. That's where I'm at now. Guess if you buy a car already assembled and restored you wouldn't have these kinda problems, but what fun would that be lol. So I got the master cylinder hooked up now and spent a day and a half chasing down a leak that turned out to be a "top side" leak. There was no fluid dripping to find the leak and it turned out to be on the drivers side rear flare where it connected to the wheel cylinder. I've got the engine and trans back in the car now and the trans brace I found from another old 68' Pontiac that I just had to clean up and weld a tab onto for the mount to sit on. The drive shaft was extremely tight coming out, like just barely enough room to for the u-joint clear the rear end yoke. So I'll be cutting down the driveshaft a couple inches tomorrow after pulling an engine from a C10. Hopefully then I can drop the car off the lift and take it for a test ride.