Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So I am replacing my engine which was originally 8305 was swap to a 350, but instead of having someone else rebuild it I was going to buy a new one put it in and learn how to rebuild the current 350 in my own spare time. My question is is An old350 Just an old 350 or is that your specific because of the mounting set up? Because I’m finding a lot of good set up’s four 1980 Chevy/Pontiac  and older. So can anybody point  Me to a direction that can tell me if my car is compatible with any other year of Chevy/ Pontiac years? 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The tradition small block Chevy engine is pretty universal externally between the 265-400 engines. So a 350 is just a 305. GM made these engines essentially from 1955 to 2002 for cars and trucks. These are essentially known as Gen I small block Chevys. As long as you have one of these small blocks you will be okay.

Starting in 1992, the SBC Gen IIs came out as the LT1/LT4/LT5 engines for the Corvette/Camaro/Firebird platforms. These feature a reverse flow head arrangement from the Gen I. I would avoid these engines without taking these cooling system changes in mind.

So a 1980 will be a good fit for my gen 3 firebird? Also have a line on an engine out of a 66 Chevelle? Both about the same caliber but one is 30 miles closer. 

And thank you for your reply 

If it is an original  1966 model Chevrolet small block engine it will be either a 283 or a 327 CID..If it has never been rebuilt it will need to have hardened valve seats installed in the cylinder heads to be compatible with today's unleaded gas...Will also more than likely ( unless it has been changed ) have the breaker point distributor rather than a HEI unit..Also unless it has been converted over it will still have the cartridge type oil filter which can pain in the #$s to change and could potentially  create a clearance problem with the 3rd gen F body platform...Whereas the 1980 model will already have the hardened valve seats...HEI...and a canister type oil filter....among other things...

1976...Should drop in with no problem..with the F body V8 engine mounts and related accessory mounting brackets..ETC..Just make sure that all the bolt holes in the ends of the cylinder heads are on the same side as the original so there will be no issues with the accessory brackets... power steering... AC ...alternator... ETC..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

With your car you need to keep within 2 years of your car to make sure you are able to ahve all the brackets work in the places they need to be. It's best if you find an engine that either came out of your year or a 82-84. That way you'll have min. of problems. The engine out of the 66 won't bolt directly up as the motor mounts are much different, but they do make adapters but you'll need some experience with them to make all the other stuff bolt up as it won't have all the needed bolt holes in the heads to bolt everything up. Swapping engine in the later models is a lot different then doing it in say a 67 GTO .  Don't make the mistake that some do & think it will just drop in & then give up because it is a LOT harder then it should be. If it's your 1st make it simple so you don't get in over your head & get mad & lose the interest in the hobby because it becomes a cluster,,,,,,.