Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So I finally got around to doing a compression test. Did them cold and hot as well as throttle open and closed. The results are cylinder 1 .. 160 , 2 .. 165 , 3 .. 165 , 4 .. 165 .. seems good to me of course this is just the top of the motor. Oil pressure test next. Also seen no reason to do a wet compression test .. sorry I haven't been on here in a wile broke my phone. 2000 grand am 2.4 l ...... 272,547 miles 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Off the cuff, those numbers don't sound too bad. no huge deviation between cylinders. It would appear that there is no obvious blow by.

• Thanks 1

What's up you all. Yea no obvious blow by, like maybe a little steam by removing the 710 cap, but that's more than likely hot oil. The only real reason I was doing this is it still has a random miss at random times .. mainly at idle and I seen smoke one night. Someone peed me off and rode my butt like a whore in church so I floored it she when to 5800 rpm and there was some type of something that came out the back to be fair it was a fair amount. Not at all sure. When I did the compression test I only did four puffs no more or less. So the compression is really like 170 or 180 if you let it go 6 or 8 strokes. I don't know the max psi there. I'll deffo be gitten back to do a re-re-re-test. 

What would you say max psi should be, I know deffo no more than 200 psi 

Do you think I should re-re-re-test it????

Edited by Lynn5907
Cuz my English isn't the best

Ok well re did test to see max pressure.. after 7 or 8 puffs it came out to 180, 185, 185, 185... and it stayed there even if you did ten puffs