Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Stalls when put in drive

I’m having an issue where my GTO runs great in park. But when I put it in drive it idles much lower and stumbles like it’s going to stall and if I give it any gas it stalls out. This is my first classic and I’ve never worked with carbs until this car. So I’m assuming it’s a tuning issue. But I might have something hooked up wrong or possible vacuum issue but I sprayed the engine down with throttle cleaner and found no vacuum leaks. If you can see anything hooked up wrong or tell me what I should mess with it would be much appreciated 

image.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hiya,

Check the ‘Accelerator Pump’ on the carburetor(s)...that’ll cause your symptoms...

dave

13 hours ago, Jcro said:

What size should I have in it 

You don’t mention, in the other post, changing the vacuum secondary's of the carbs to port vacuum! Did you? If those are connected to manifold vacuum that’s a problem. 

In the picture you’ve taken I see more questions than answers. It doesn’t look like the secondary’s are connected to port vacuum. Also wow, all the adaptors connecting the carbs to the tunnel ram present a challenge! Are there vacuum leaks? Quite possible, that needs check at each gasket interface with ether. Any leaks at those will cause precisely what you describe. Are the gaskets at each interface the correct ones? If not that can change vacuum! 

I assume the car came with that setup on it and you did not install it?

I don’t know what you mean by changing the vacuum secondary to ported vacuum I don’t believe I did how would I do that. I don’t see any kind of vaccine line going to the diaphram on the side of the carb and I sprayed down all of the adapters and intake and found no vacuum leaks. Yes this is the set up I bought it with 

22 hours ago, Jcro said:

I don’t know what you mean by changing the vacuum secondary to ported vacuum I don’t believe I did how would I do that. I don’t see any kind of vaccine line going to the diaphram on the side of the carb and I sprayed down all of the adapters and intake and found no vacuum leaks. Yes this is the set up I bought it with 

It’s been quite a few years since I worked on vacuum secondary Holleys, I always preferred mechanical ones, but it appears your vacuum secondary’s are fed internally. I still suspect they are the culprit. As you will see or hear, in this video.

Go to You tube select search and paste this link into it. http://... http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Vacuum-Secondary-Components/757289/10002/-1 ------... that should bring up Jegs tutorial. This will explain how they work how to check them and what some issues might be.

Additionally, you may still have a vacuum leak! Carb cleaner is not the best fluid to use for finding a vacuum leak, ether is. 

When the engine is in an idle have you checked engine vacuum? What is the number. When you put it in gear what does the vacuum fall to? Have you checked compression? If it’s not vacuum There are a lot of things it could be! Spark plug wires, just bad carbs that need rebuilt, distributor issues, etc.

let us know how you make out, we’ll keep pecking away at this till you get it figured out!

Good luck!

Edited by Last Indian

• 5 weeks later...

Why isn't your kick down cable connected. That has to be connected & adjusted correctly or your engine will stall as it controls the amount of vacuum & when your trans shifts. You need to have someone with the experience to help you or your going to burn up your trans if you haven't already.