Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

2019 Widetrackers Dustoff Show

HI Everyone,

I'm trying to download a form to sign up our car for the Dustoff but I'm having trouble with the Widetrackers website.  Is there a Widetrackers member out there who may have a form they could forward to me?

Thanks In Advance!

John

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi John

Yes, there is an issue with the Widetracker's website widetrackers.org. Our webmaster, Dave Bloch, died of a heart attack rather unexpectedly in January and we don't have the passwords to the old site. Therefore a new site had to be created by a new webmaster, Bob. It is: 

miwidetrackers16.org  

Given that this website is so new, I don't know if webmaster Bob has had a chance to scan and upload the 2019 Dustoff registration form yet. I know there is a planned link waiting for it. Paper copies are available. If you care to private message me with your address, I can contact Dan Kane, our Dust Off chairman and have him mail you a form. Or you can wait a while until Bob gets the website updated and download it when it's available.  Your call.

Edited by Frosty

HI Frosty

They haven't put the form on the widetrackers website yet.  I have Dan's info so I can contact him.

Thank you for your help though!

Best Regards

John

On 3/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, reveredGTO said:

HI Frosty

They haven't put the form on the widetrackers website yet.  I have Dan's info so I can contact him.

Thank you for your help though!

Best Regards

John

There are a number of us waiting to meet you.  Should be a great time!

That awesome news. I have the application, I haven't had 10 minutes to fill it out yet, let alone write the check. I will though....I will be there. I signed up to be the "official photographer" of the event on the work detail sheet already.

• 1 month later...

It looks like we won't be making the Dust-off or any other car events this summer.  I now have a six month project out of state.

20 hours ago, reveredGTO said:

It looks like we won't be making the Dust-off or any other car events this summer.  I now have a six month project out of state.

Bummer, was looking forward to meeting you.

Heck, I'll say it. That sucks! That means when you get back car season is essentially over here in Michigan. You are getting a total screw deal (relative to car shows and your goat)  there pal.

It's a definite bummer, but it's better than unemployment.   We were looking forward to meeting everyone as well.  Perhaps it's for the better.  Since coming out of storage, the goat has been giving us some grief.

It's developed an intermittent problem where the car will refuse to start without warning.  It will start and run perfectly for awhile and then you'll turn the key and nothing.  So far it will restart after a few tries but there is no indication it's going to act up.  You're left hoping and praying the car will start.  Last summer it got a new battery, battery cables and starter.

I need to track that problem down and fix it before I take it out.  Does anyone have any ideas where I should start?

Happy cruising everyone!

Is this always happening when the car is hot or do you have issues with cold start too? Pontiacs have known hot start issues.

Start with checking your timing. Make sure it is not too advanced. 

Are you running headers or factory style exhaust manifolds? What kind of starter are you using? High torque or factory style? 

I had a problem with the positive cable rubbing against the exhaust manifold, it melted the insulation, and grounded out against the engine when the motor was hot. The fix was to properly run the cable the way Pontiac did. 

Perhaps you can come to a future Widetrackers meeting when you get back and we can meet up.

I understand all to well the unemployment situation. At my lowest point, my unemployment ran out and I ended up working at Wal-Mart just to make some money until I could fine something better, which I did 8 weeks later. Still the Wal-Mart experience was not a bad one. You do what you have to do to provide for your family.

Edited by Frosty

Thanks Frosty,

The engine is all stock. It has a factory replacement starter, exhaust and manifolds.  Luckily the car hasn't had any aftermarket performance or electrical modifications done to it.   When I replaced the battery cables, last year the metal tube that protects the cable from the manifold was missing so I made sure to get one.

It wouldn't start for my wife when the engine was cold once.  Luckily she was home.  The car has started perfectly for her every time since but she won't drive it.  I've been doing some reading and I'm hoping it could be the Neutral Safety Switch.  Another possible issue could be the key switch is wearing out.  If it's the key switch, I'm hoping the replacement can be keyed to our current keys.  The research continues.

We'll be sure to make Widetracker meets in the future. 

Best Regards to Everyone!