Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Ford 9 inch in my Lemans

16 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

New prop valve from summit went in tonight. Brakes bled its all done! Fill it tomorrow with some stinky gear oil then tighten all the control arms now that its on the ground and i should be good to go. Well then its break in time but hell i'v waited this long soooo.

Joe's Tech Support here - picture of his new proportioning valve.

Something about a "mutha' to install or location.  :stars:

255769186_IMG_40351.thumb.JPG.4abe3646312bba177be9125723bfd56f.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Maiden voyage went smooth! Brakes work better. (low vacuum motor) couple more heat cycles tomorrow and im burnin rubber again!

Yea that prop valve was a %&*@'er! 

That pic makes it look like there was room LOL

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, holtff1074 said:

Nice Option I believe. I know I've considered doing the same and very much for the same  reasons. I currently have a 8.2 posi Cone unit that I have a set of 3:23 gears for. I had a second backup set,but someone needed a set so I  sold the extras(3:23's in good shape hard to find and no longer available). I hope to put some driving on the car once complete and as you stated....easier to get parts and do repair on the 9" if need be. Plus the option of gears as my 8.2 can only handle the 3:23 as  max option. I hope you draw input of the rear brake option as well. On your prop valve....I'm planning to use the wildwood adjustable. Anxious to know how you like it if you do the change. I'm tempted to sell my 10" 8.2 setup just to get the 9inch!

I will say QP has been great so far. Having a co make the E-brake cables was a huge benefit.The brakes work a little better than the drums but i have a low vacuum motor. The E-brake works perfectly and i didnt even have to adjust the cables. I am really happy overall with the 9 vs the 8.2. Some things i learned along the way.

1 do not get any brake cables,lines.

2 really is no need for the filling bung option as it still sucked to fill it with that option. it still has the allen wrench fill plug. which a turkey baster or a large syringe is what i used and is all thats needed.

3 the drain plug is a bonus.

4 the jack pad...i cut 1/3 of mine off to fit the factory swaybar. I do not think it is really necessary as the housing is really thick.

5 I honestly think all you really need is a disc disc prop valve,your results may vary here.

6  unless you are autocrossing the Torino big bearing ends should last a looong time.

Pinion angle didnt change and the tires fit exactly in the same space as the 8.2 did.All in all i would do this again in a heartbeat. Bonus is unless you really really look close it looks like a 12 bolt under the car! 

Any questions ask away while its still fresh in my memory LOL PLUS i have had a few guys asking to buy my 68 GTO 8.2 rear so that may really offset the cost of this swap!

Good results Indy! i really like your sharing all the steps u went thru. Thats helpful to any others including me if i choose that option. Im torn between between 9in and maybe a 12bolt.Thats only because i have a friend willing to give me a 12bolt housing.

Loved getting my 8.2 rebuilt etc,but if i drive a lot and require parts on trips i know getting parts be a challange.

Pontiac Show in PigeonForge is soon and i will studying everything to help me learn more.Congrats on your results!

• 7 months later...

Well this is kinda timely. Soooo i sent back the useless AN braided brake hose, fittings and hardware a long time ago.April? may? couldve been july lol,I'm lazy and didnt follow up alot. But when i called QP i got "yea we got your stuff back we will call ya soon". Never happened as far as them calling me. Posted on a Facebook site a month ago (dont remember which one) about the long delay in a refund for the brake lines i wouldnt use and did send back in perfect condition,no dispute from them. A rep PM'ed me and a week later,last week in fact, i got a check for the stuff i sent back. So i am real happy about the whole process. And i sold my old rear asm for $900..he put it in a 69 chevelle, as far as i am concerned his chevelle is bleeding a bit Pontiac Blue now..LOL

• Like 1

I'm glad you got your money back Joe.

I find it amusing when Chevy guys use Pontiac or some other non-Chevy parts on their rides. Oh, it's okay to put Chevy motors or parts in virtually anything, but it's not okay to put a non-Chevy motor in a Chevy. That's sacrilegious. Yeah....right.

Edited by Frosty