Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

brandyv73's 1968 Firebird

2019 June
of the Month

  • 0
UTBud

Engine Power Reduced

Question

Ok so I have a bit of car problem right now. Pontiac g6 2009 4 cylinder. Ive replaced the battery, gas cap twice, 02 sensors front and back, new air filter, and even took it to a mechanic and they couldnt find a problem so they cleaned some sensors off (not sure which ones). I checked fuses and none showed signs of damage, and lightly sanded off some ground wires for better connection. Awhile back started getting a check engine light which was P0171 (Bank 1 system too lean) so I changed the 02 sensors and didnt work. I then started to get an engine power reduced. I would turn the key but not start the engine up and it would give me that message, I would take the key out a few times and the message would go away and car will start up just fine. Fast forward a month and engine reduced wont go away, if it catches its very heavy. And when I turn the key, I hear some sort of buzzing noise for about 2 seconds around the EBCM. I took the Throttle body out just before that issue started and cleaned it because it was really dirt, there is some gunk still on it that wont come off  but I do not want to damage it by chiseling at it, but still giving me that error. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, UTBud said:

Ok so I have a bit of car problem right now. Pontiac g6 2009 4 cylinder. Ive replaced the battery, gas cap twice, 02 sensors front and back, new air filter, and even took it to a mechanic and they couldnt find a problem so they cleaned some sensors off (not sure which ones). I checked fuses and none showed signs of damage, and lightly sanded off some ground wires for better connection. Awhile back started getting a check engine light which was P0171 (Bank 1 system too lean) so I changed the 02 sensors and didnt work. I then started to get an engine power reduced. I would turn the key but not start the engine up and it would give me that message, I would take the key out a few times and the message would go away and car will start up just fine. Fast forward a month and engine reduced wont go away, if it catches its very heavy. And when I turn the key, I hear some sort of buzzing noise for about 2 seconds around the EBCM. I took the Throttle body out just before that issue started and cleaned it because it was really dirt, there is some gunk still on it that wont come off  but I do not want to damage it by chiseling at it, but still giving me that error. Any ideas?

You most likely have injector problems! If you have more than 50k and don’t use a good injector cleaner regularly that’s most likely the cause. If this holds true your simplest fix is new injectors unless you have the means to remove them and clean them. Which takes the right chemical cleaner, a power supply and a pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

  • 0
31 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

You most likely have injector problems! If you have more than 50k and don’t use a good injector cleaner regularly that’s most likely the cause. If this holds true your simplest fix is new injectors unless you have the means to remove them and clean them. Which takes the right chemical cleaner, a power supply and a pump.

I forgot to mention its at 85,000 miles and ive put fuel injection cleaner through it twice, but if the injectors are bad then thats a different issue, I'll check it out thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
22 minutes ago, UTBud said:

I forgot to mention its at 85,000 miles and ive put fuel injection cleaner through it twice, but if the injectors are bad then thats a different issue, I'll check it out thank you!

Well if the injector cleaner was only run through twice and that was the only time that wouldn’t help! Once injectors start to clogg and then continue to have more and more carbon buildup occur they will eventually reach a point that injector cleaner won’t effectively clean the injector. If you believe you want to try to clean them yourself and you wish I can give you some advice if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I took the fuel rail out and cleaned the injectors out and reinstalled them, they were pretty dirty but I'm still having the same issue, makes that buzzing sound by the battery/ ICBM (I think thats what its called) area when I put the key in start position, and gives me engine power reduced. It also gives me a power steering message but that might be the recall they have on this vehicle not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.