Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1955 Pontiac Chieftain wagon

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 months later...

Haven't been working on the 55 in a while.  Had to go down to my son's and spent 4 weeks finishing his basement.  1800 square feet.  Still have to go back on 2 June to finish.  I've also been getting next winters firewood done and have pulled up my oak flooring, planed the old finish off, relayed to get rid of the shrinkage cracks, sanded and am finally putting finish on.  Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be back on it around the end of June.

IMG_2268.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've had time to work on the Pontiac in 2 1/2 months. I'm not going to be able to work on it for another 3 or 4 weeks but after that I should have free time again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally able to get back to the 55.  I was able to start and break in the engine.  Have a trans leak up front at the flywheel.   Removed it and found the crankshaft to flywheel gasket missing.  Ordered new gaskets and will reinstall.   

Edited by casper50

Might be a bit.  Have to wait for new trans gaskets to arrive and then it's moose season.  Doing my annual 12 day float trip here in Alaska.

3 hours ago, casper50 said:

..... then it's moose season. 

image.png.cee354eee47d0fbf19d183d5b076fff5.png

I couldn't resist.....

Still good luck with it....it's been fun to watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally fixed the leak in the rebuilt trans so with that done the body went on.  Now to get all the panels on and get it painted.

Edited by casper50
  • Like 2

Great update.

I have a suggestion for your door gap problem. If you are happy with your door gaps except for that one huge gap at the top left, might I suggest that you take a piece of welding rod were the gap is the widest, and weld the rod to that side of the door skin (following the contour of the door skin), essentially using the rod to extend that portion of the door to take up the extra room. Use a grinder to grind down the rod until it conforms to the gap you are looking for.

Edited by Frosty

You are welcome. I can't take credit for the idea. I've seen it used on TV. Still I think that might be the thing you need to close the gap. No one will know - except you.

I'm reinstalling the front sheet metal getting ready to paint. Have to align the hood but am having problems with the hood latch. It goes into the hole/slot perfectly and the latch and safety catch function well. The problem is when shut and I lift on the hood only it will raise in front 1.5" until the safety catch catches. What keeps the hood down snug? A couple of photos.

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...