Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

GM begins laying off white-collar workforce

FeedBot

General Motors Renaissance Center in Detroit, MichiganFollowing its offers buy out thousands of its employees last year, General Motors on Monday began the process of laying off about 4,000 white-collar workers. The cuts will total 4,000 employees when the latest restructuring step is complete. The Detroit Free Press reported the cuts began Monday morning after an email from chief financial officer...

View the full article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

My brother-in-law works at the GM Tech Center in Warren. We're praying he remains safe. The best man in my wedding also works there. So far, he is safe. According to local news reports, GM is saying the layoff process can take up to two weeks.

This is a good video that Unifor Canada developed for the Super Bowl. I couldn't agree more with the end of the message.

I got a phone call from a former employee of mine, when I use to manage the GM Flint North and Flint Engine South complexes (I was the IT site manager for both complexes). Kevin use to manage the cold test area in the old 3800 plant before it was shut down permanently in 2012. Cold test was testing the engine completely, short of physically starting it, to insure it would start and run the first time once it was installed in a vehicle on the assembly line.

Kevin was hired by GM permanently, along with most of my other plan staff once GM decided to in-source all their IT staff from EDS, HP, CSC, IBM, Cap Gemini, and Tata. Kevin is worried that he may get tapped on the shoulder as part of the layoffs. He was asking my opinion on a possible job position with the State of Michigan (which I gave him). He also informed me that one of my former employees, named Eugene, was let go on Tuesday. Eugene, however, is old enough to retire.

Kevin says GM is really gutting a lot of the IT staff at the manufacturing plants that he works with.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I got a phone call from a former employee of mine, when I use to manage the GM Flint North and Flint Engine South complexes (I was the IT site manager for both complexes). Kevin use to manage the cold test area in the old 3800 plant before it was shut down permanently in 2012. Cold test was testing the engine completely, short of physically starting it, to insure it would start and run the first time once it was installed in a vehicle on the assembly line.

Kevin was hired by GM permanently, along with most of my other plan staff once GM decided to in-source all their IT staff from EDS, HP, CSC, IBM, Cap Gemini, and Tata. Kevin is worried that he may get tapped on the shoulder as part of the layoffs. He was asking my opinion on a possible job position with the State of Michigan (which I gave him). He also informed me that one of my former employees, named Eugene, was let go on Tuesday. Eugene, however, is old enough to retire.

Kevin says GM is really gutting a lot of the IT staff at the manufacturing plants that he works with.

Not cool buddy! I feel for all of those folks! Terrible to be put in that position, I can’t imagine how disconcerting it is for them.

What happened to the days of workers retiring when they are ready? Oh yeah that disappeared 30-40 years ago!

12 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Not cool buddy! I feel for all of those folks! Terrible to be put in that position, I can’t imagine how disconcerting it is for them.

What happened to the days of workers retiring when they are ready? Oh yeah that disappeared 30-40 years ago!

I totally agree. It's not in the company's best interest for you to stay 30+ years anymore. Corporate loyalty is not given anymore and none should be expected anymore. Loyalty is given to the next fiscal quarter's results, not long term results or longevity.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I totally agree. It's not in the company's best interest for you to stay 30+ years anymore. Corporate loyalty is not given anymore and none should be expected anymore. Loyalty is given to the next fiscal quarter's results, not long term results or longevity.

You’re right, but that’s why nearly all US business can’t sustain continuity for any real length of time today. An old saying of “Do what you do, do well son” was never more true! 

There is no replacement for experience, none! The recognition of circumstances can only be that due to that precise reason. Formal education can’t teach it! JDA’s can’t capture it and at the job level companies truly don’t have a clue. If they did they  would not give away intellectually property inadvertently as they do by outsourcing work! More lost company revenue has occurred due to outsourcing than any revenue saved due to wage reductions.

I could go on, but it’s pointless as you already know!

21 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

You’re right, but that’s why nearly all US business can’t sustain continuity for any real length of time today. An old saying of “Do what you do, do well son” was never more true! 

There is no replacement for experience, none! The recognition of circumstances can only be that due to that precise reason. Formal education can’t teach it! JDA’s can’t capture it and at the job level companies truly don’t have a clue. If they did they  would not give away intellectually property inadvertently as they do by outsourcing work! More lost company revenue has occurred due to outsourcing than any revenue saved due to wage reductions.

I could go on, but it’s pointless as you already know!

I truly do my friend. I've watched my home town die a death of a 1000 cuts at the hands of GM over the last five decades, as GM has lost market share, re-organized, closed plants, and outsourced and eliminated jobs. A city that once was GM's home town and had 15k salary and 50k hourly jobs, is now a town of around 5k total jobs. Whole divisions that were headquartered here are now long gone and sit as flat, vacant, un-redeveloped property.

8 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Amen brother, well said. Sorry to hear about your friends. It really is a damn shame.

Thanks. Eugene will be okay, he's able to retire age-wise as well as financially. He's luckier than most to be sure. I am praying for Kevin.

Man I remember when it seemed like at least 1 out off every 3 people you talked to worked for some facet of the auto industry, including myself, step dad and almost all of my uncles, cousins and brother in laws. Its just crazy to look back and think how 1 industry can shape and build a city and community's. Then tear down what everybody worked so hard to build, leaving those city's in ruins, destroying lives, ripping a part family's and leaving such uncertainly in its place. I truly hope everything works out for them bro.