Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

fuel additive for water elimination

I just siphoned old gas out of my 87 Bonneville, but I think there may be a few gallons left in there.  I would like to add a treatment to address the ethanol&water that is no doubt remaining in the tank before I add in fresh gas, which will be 100% gas.  Has anyone had any experience with DFS Plus, the Bell product that is supposed to dissolve the water back into the gasoline?  Or do you recommend another water treatment product?  I was interested in this one because it does not contain alcohol.  I could not see the point of filling up with 100% gas rather than ethanol and then adding a fuel treatment product that contained alcohol.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The water remover / gas treatment product I am most familiar with is ISO-HEET by Gold Eagle. This is what their website has to say about water removal:

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/symptoms-water-cars-gas-tank-and-how-fix-it/

9 hours ago, kmanning said:

I just siphoned old gas out of my 87 Bonneville, but I think there may be a few gallons left in there.  I would like to add a treatment to address the ethanol&water that is no doubt remaining in the tank before I add in fresh gas, which will be 100% gas.  Has anyone had any experience with DFS Plus, the Bell product that is supposed to dissolve the water back into the gasoline?  Or do you recommend another water treatment product?  I was interested in this one because it does not contain alcohol.  I could not see the point of filling up with 100% gas rather than ethanol and then adding a fuel treatment product that contained alcohol.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

The water remover / gas treatment product I am most familiar with is ISO-HEET by Gold Eagle. This is what their website has to say about water removal:

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/symptoms-water-cars-gas-tank-and-how-fix-it/

Frosty is dead on, use the Heat now to help remove what water you have left in the tank! 

Then when you refill the tank do two things! One fill the tank with at least 91 octane or higher and add 2 oz of Sta-bil marine for every 5 gals of fuel in the tank! 

I never run any of my cars without using Sta-bil. Sta-bil is also a Gold Eagle product. 

A little FYI, all gas is not equal, no matter what you’ve heard. Sunoco & Shell are heads above all the others in their addictive packages. This includes the type of refined Ethanol they use and how they blend the products together.

Edited by Last Indian

Last Indian, should I let the Iso-Heet  sit in there with the water for a day or so before I add the fresh gas?

Also I do not know if I can get 91 octane here in 100% gas, so will it be alright to use 91 octane (or higher) of ethanol blend?   Which is better or does it matter?

Thank you both for the advice.

51 minutes ago, kmanning said:

Last Indian, should I let the Iso-Heet  sit in there with the water for a day or so before I add the fresh gas?

Also I do not know if I can get 91 octane here in 100% gas, so will it be alright to use 91 octane (or higher) of ethanol blend?   Which is better or does it matter?

Thank you both for the advice.

If you can, yes I would let it sit a few days. Also if you can safely leave the gas cap loose to allow better evaporation I would, but only if the area is well ventilated and shielded from the weather. Otherwise leave the cap on.

I would use Sunoco’s 93 octane, yes you will get some ethanol, but it’s a much higher grade of ethanol than most other brands. Plus it will help to disperse any remaining water. I would suggest leaving that gas set for a few hours and than add the Sta-bil marine additive, at least 2oz per 5 gal. Again let that sit maybe an hour, then you should be good.

Additionally you might consider bleeding the fuel supply at the fuel rail, about a gallon, before you fire the engine.

Last Indian, thank you for this information.  The details really help to understand what to do.   

I believe I may have already accomplished the last step (bleeding the fuel supply)?: I replaced the fuel filter while I was siphoning the stale gas, and in this model in order to relieve the fuel pressure (before changing the fuel filter), you pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then crank the car several times.  Also while I had the fuel filter disconnected I put a hose on the fuel supply line leading from the gas tank, put the fuse back in for the fuel pump, and engaged the fuel pump several times to try to get some more stale fuel out of the tank.  So did that accomplish the bleeding or do I still need to do that?

9 hours ago, kmanning said:

Last Indian, thank you for this information.  The details really help to understand what to do.   

I believe I may have already accomplished the last step (bleeding the fuel supply)?: I replaced the fuel filter while I was siphoning the stale gas, and in this model in order to relieve the fuel pressure (before changing the fuel filter), you pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then crank the car several times.  Also while I had the fuel filter disconnected I put a hose on the fuel supply line leading from the gas tank, put the fuse back in for the fuel pump, and engaged the fuel pump several times to try to get some more stale fuel out of the tank.  So did that accomplish the bleeding or do I still need to do that?

I would think you’re good! I would just follow what we’ve discussed, minus the additional bleeding.