Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Got a HUGE Wire Gremlin

Okay so, i have the 2002 firebird base model and lately it's been VATs locking itself. But in this case, its not doing it randomly or from a bad resistor in the key. My 2002 firbird is VATs locking itself when temperatures overnight drop below 15F. The only thing i've found, is that the interior of the car needs to be above 20F in order for it to start properly. anything below that, the car VATs locks. 

how the heck do i fix this?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

This is from the 2001 Firebird Owners Manual:

When starting your engine in very cold weather (below 0F or -18C), do this:

1. With your foot off the accelerator pedal, turn the ignition key to START and hold it there. When the engine starts, let go of the key. Use the accelerator pedal to maintain engine speed, if you have to, until your engine has run for a while.

2. If your engine still won’t start (or starts but then stops), it could be flooded with too much gasoline. Try pushing your accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and holding it there as you hold the key in START for about three seconds. When the engine starts, let go of the key and accelerator. If the vehicle starts briefly but then stops again, do the same thing, but this time keep the pedal down for five or six seconds. This clears the extra gasoline from the engine.

-------------------

I am assuming your ignitiion key has a small black chip in it similar to this one.

image.png.ec0af6b9668747b5a7ee7be382ac2c77.png

1st trick: Try a spare key that is newer or used less. The pins wear down with use and so do the keys causing the security to fail. 

2nd trick: (a.k.a the 10 minute trick if not starting) Turn the key forward 2 clicks until right before it would normally start, leave like that for 10 minutes ( no less ). After 10 minutes, turn key back then forward and your car might start

If the ten minute trick works on this system, then the problem is NOT in your key or ignition. It is the theft deterent module (TDM) itself. It will have to be fully bypassed or a new TDM installed. This system does not relearn or reteach the ignition like the Passlock and Passkey systems do that came after them.

Interesting. Im not sure if that would work though. Both of my keys (you're correct, both my keys look like that) don't work. If i hold the key in the start position, the SECURITY light blinks. If i sit with the key in the ignition, the light still blinks. However, if the car is warm, none of this happens and it starts normally.

17 minutes ago, Kurk_Kurk said:

Interesting. Im not sure if that would work though. Both of my keys (you're correct, both my keys look like that) don't work. If i hold the key in the start position, the SECURITY light blinks. If i sit with the key in the ignition, the light still blinks. However, if the car is warm, none of this happens and it starts normally.

One possibility is that both the keys & or the ignition switch are worn. This is enough that in the temperatures you mention thermal constriction is actually increasing the inside space of the lock cylinder. Plus combined with the key wear at the contact wire of the chip, they don’t make contact with each other. 

So try this. Next time heat the key with a blow dry, match or something, not the chip. Then insert it into the lock cylinder leave it there for about 1 minute, then try to start the car, you may have to do this twice. Be careful not to melt the plastic insulator piece. 

If this proves to work you’ll need to replace the lock cylinder, & possibly the keys.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

Well, as soon as i made this post, the weather started warming up and the issue hasn't been around since this post. I'ts got to be the shrinking metal inside the cylinder but i'll update this post when it's really cold and not starting again. That's when i'll have a chance to heat the key and etc.