Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pontiac Torrent Problems After Replacing Battery

ADVICE PLEASE! I have a 2008 Pontiac Torrent that I’ve had for almost 2 years and never had any major problem with it. Yesterday the temperatures were below zero here and my vehicle started acting up. A “service theft deterrent system” warning came on, then the tire pressure sensor gauge came on, then the tract control light came on, then finally, the service battery charging system light. After I got it home I shut the car off and when I went to start it an hour later, it would not start. The lights were all still working but no crank. This morning, there were no lights at all. I assumed that because of the frigid weather the battery died so I purchased a new one. I installed it and everything seems to be working on BUT the car will not start now. I have no crank when turning the key. When I first turned the key the “service theft deterrent system light was on” and the “service battery charging system” light was on. I read online that you could do the 10X10X10 trick with the key to reset the security system but that didn’t work. After the first 10 minutes those two warning lights did go off however and did not come back on. I am clueless. I hate to take it to the dealer if it’s something I can fix at home. I do need to mention two other things. When I did the 10X10X10 procedure I did not sit in the car the entire time because it has been so cold here. During this procedure, I did open the door a few times and hit the unlock door buttons a few times as well so that I did not lock my keys in the car. Will that make a difference? Also, in the beginning of December, I lost my keys for this vehicle. I had to get a new key at the dealer and they told me that I could try the 10X10X10 procedure to program the key but if that didn’t wilt I would have to have it towed in so they could program it. Well when I got home I stuck the key in the ignition, for some reason it magically worked without any programming which makes no sense because I know it’s a programmable key. I read online that because of this the key may only work for a little while and then signal the theft deterrent system because it wasn’t programmed. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Any advice or help is appreciated! Thank you!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Tiffany - I think we have one or more things going on here. If you have a friend or neighbor who is a mechanic with an OBDII scan tool, this would be most helpful it getting what ever trouble codes are stored in your cars computer, to better help trouble shoot your car.

My first reaction to your “service theft deterrent system” is a problem either with your ignition switch or your shifter cable. However, you go on to describe other issues coming on shortly thereafter.

The traction control would indicate something in either the braking or transmission, most typically in your anti-lock braking system. A broken wire harness in the ABS has been reported as noted below.

NHTSA Item Number: 10028186 
Service Bulletin #: PIT-4756 
Replacement #: 
Vehicle/Equipment Make: PONTIAC 
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: TORRENT 
Model Year: 2007 
Mfg Component Code: 036400 SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT 
Date of Bulletin: 2008-11-01 
Date Added: 2009-03-13 
Summary: GENERAL MOTORS: ABS AND STABILITRAK LIGHTS ON DTC(S) U0121, C0550, C0186, C0196, C0710, C0252. THIS CONCERN CAN BE CAUSED BY WIRE HARNESS GOING TO EBCM, CHAFFING ON TRANSMISSION MOUNT OR METAL BRACKET. *PE 

Other similar TSBs include:
NHTSA# 10021080, Service Bulletin# 4260
and NHTSA# 10023914, Service Bulletin# 070232009

I honestly think there is more to than this, and I will have to do some more reading. My gut instinct tells me that with this many simultaneous system failures/lights that we have some sort of power/power regulation problem (possible battery, alternator, or voltage regulator), an ECM (computer) problem, or multiple different issues all occurring at once.

Meanwhile, I certainly invite my fellow FPers to comment.