Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

58Bonne's 1958 Bonneville

2019 June
of the Month

Dwayne Hoover

Odometer and trip meter

Question

My odometer and trip meter don’t work.  Any ideas or places that could fix this?  1986 TA, 305 v8.

2 answers to this question

This could be a number of causes and the fixes vary as well. The mechanical odometer and trip odometer are driven by a stepper motor off the same VSS buffer signal from the ECM that also drives the speedometer.

1. The flexible printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster may be loose or have missing or broken clips.

2. The stepper motor that drives the odometer(s) may have broken or missing teeth.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KA6JCDSEX/third-gen-firebird-odometer-86-92-140mph-gear?li=shareProduct

3. The stepper motor may have failed completely.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thanks Frosty.  I can get a refurbished instrument cluster from Hawk Motorsports, but it is quite pricey and I’m not sure it will fix the problem.  Thanks again for the info!