Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

woofers on trunk deck?

Hey guys...

so eating some cereal after work thinking about a design for my new box I started thinking...

What if I mounted my 2 slim line woofers on the bottom side of the deck lid?

Either pointing out or reverse mount them so the box would not stick out much at all!

I would add stiffer struts, but has anyone ever seen this? Any ideas?

My only concern is fastening it to the lid so it does not fall off but can be removed...

HMMMMM

Now I am interested!

Keith

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I would ask:

Is the trunk lid going to support the weight of the units?

Is the vibration of the woofers going to shake the crap out of the trunk lid?

Yes the lid would support them, I would get heavier struts to ensure holding the lid up would not be an issue.

These subs would be in a fully re-enforced fiberglass box so there should not be too much stress on the deck.

Since I ended up with a different woofer then planned this is wait but i would still love to see it!

Keith

I was not taking about when the trunk is open but when it is closed. Is the lid strong enough not to warp over time with the extra weight of the subs and is the framework strong enough to take the weight with the rigors of driving.

I am not sure but I was willing to find out til I ended up with s different set of subs then I planned!

No complaints!

I was suppose to be getting a shallow mount exile woofers and I ended up with this...

TS-W3001D4_L.jpg

Which would fold my trunk lid in half! LMAO!

those are some sick subs. if i were to have those, i would seriously have to add more box space bcuz my trunk is shallow and so is the box. they would sound like crap in my current setup. lol

if you are talking about the pioneer they are designed to run on almost no air. even the 12" woofer i have pictured only wants ~.5-1.0 ft3

if you are talking about the pioneer they are designed to run on almost no air. even the 12" woofer i have pictured only wants ~.5-1.0 ft3

well in that case, what were the model of those subs again? i might have to look into them.

IMO having the subs on the rear decklid so everyone can see them says please smash my window and steal them.

IMO having the subs on the rear decklid so everyone can see them says please smash my window and steal them.

:P I think he was referring to the trunk lid, as in when you open it they are mounted on the trunk lid :)

I feel like this would be a bad idea, as far as sound quality goes. When i had woofers in my jeep, i remember the hatch was one of the worst places i got vibrations from, i'd imagine it would only get worse with the woofers mounted on it.

I feel like this would be a bad idea, as far as sound quality goes. When i had woofers in my jeep, i remember the hatch was one of the worst places i got vibrations from, i'd imagine it would only get worse with the woofers mounted on it.

problem identified :huh: