Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

62 grand prix

I have a 1962 grand prix that the heater/ac fan will not shut off until I unhook the fan wire from the switch next to the fan under the hood

This fan blows air for the ac/heater

I don't know if I need a new part that the fan wire hooks up to( I don't know what this is called) it has 8 spade lugs

Will it cause the fan to keep running?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Would highly suspect that the switch itself has gone bad...When you unhook the wIre from the blower motor and it shuts off....Does the blower come back on when you hook the wIre back up ????

0925181848a.jpg

0925181848.jpg

0925181901.jpg

0925181903.jpg

0925181903a.jpg

0925181903b.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

yes as soon as I hook up the fan wire it turns on. I don't even have the key in the ignition. I pulled the resister out and cleaned it up ,but it still turns on as soon as I hook up the wire to the fan. Do you think it could be the dash controls? I am very happy for your help. Change the dash controls next?  I don't want to keep opening the hood to unhook the fan each time i stop!  thanks again for any help. ted

I suspect the blower switch...But before you start changing switches....Make sure that there are no wires under the dash or under the hood that are chafed or rubbing together causing it to pull unwanted power from another source....Not 100% sure but think that you might be able to just get the heater fan switch by itself without having to get the whole dash unit...Would be worth checking into....

One of my friends Grand prix...

0427181651b.jpg

Yes you can test the switches First thing to do is unhook the wIre harness from the switch..If you can pull the unit to access the back of the switch it will make it alot easier to do...

Once you gain access to poles that the harness plugs into....Using a multimeter on the OHM setting place the black lead on the ground pole of the switch...(switch may have more than two poles... One of them is ground... Possible may be marked) Place the red lead on the other pole with the switch in the OFF position...should show OL...If it does not that means something inside the switch is broke and needs to be replaced...Can do the same thing with the continuity setting on the meter..Black lead on the ground..Red lead to the other pole with switch in the OFF position if it beebs means switch is bad...

Am sure there are other members out there that can better explain the procedure.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

thank you, but I am looking for a blower motor resistor far a car with ac. It has eight lugs for wires to hook to it. It fits in the fan motor under the hood.

That's a tough one. I would try calling Old Air Products   

Old Air Products
1201 Forum Way South
Fort Worth, TX 76140

817-531-2665.

I know they reproduce some blower resistors so they might be able to help you or give you a lead.

I found one at GM parts for $125.00 and I found another from A J Koszi new old stock for +/- $180.00

I ordered a heater control unit(from Franks) that controls heat temp, fan speed, defrost mounted on the dash(I have been told it could be the dash control?)

I am going to try that first, the contacts may not be good on mine?

I agree with things to ponder above!

thanks for helping me

ted

I admit that I am surprised that GM Parts had it. GM has discontinued a lot of big car stuff over the years and if the aftermarket doesn't pick it up, then we are kinda' screwed. Keep in touch and let us know how your project goes - both your ups an downs. We all like to learn.

Helping you was our pleasure.

Edited by Frosty

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a blower motor resistor from Chigo Pontiac and installed it. My fan motor still runs unless I unhook the wire to the fan motor.

I don't know hat to do next!

Have you tried calling some of the vintage / classic air conditioning suppliers and ask them what they recommend (short of buying their products)?