Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

14 hours ago, wdl182 said:

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

For the least hassle, a BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) bolt-pattern TH200 4R is the best route to go, in my opinion. The case is 2 inches longer than the TH350/400 case but it should otherwise fit your transmission tunnel with no problem. You will probably need to shorten your driveshaft or get a custom one made. You also will no longer have a transmission kickdown cable (assuming you have a TH350).

You can go with the more plentiful 700R4 transmission but that requires an adaptor kit to switch from the BOP pattern on the back of the engine to the Chevy pattern on the transmission.

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

19 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

You should also consider TH200R4 out of the T-type Regals and Grand Nationals. They were 3.8L Turbos. Heck, the '87 GNXs could beat the Corvette with TH200R4!

You will want to match the flex plate to the tranny. Talk to you engine builder and see what he/she recommends.

Thanks again !!!

Frosty, Hey found a 86 Monte SS trans $100. !!! good shape ! Would like to run some questions by you !! Not sure how to proceed ?