Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 Bonneville trans swap

That can happen.

A buddy of mine lives in northern Toronto. He was telling me about a place in Florida that advertises in "Street Scene" that makes speedo gears or custom adaptors. He promised to send me the name of the place once he gets back from a car show in Charleston WV.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thanks I really don't want to pull the pan, but if that's what it takes to get it right I'll do it !! But I will check it out when I hear from you.  Do you go to Frankenmuth ???

On 6/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, Frosty said:

That can happen.

A buddy of mine lives in northern Toronto. He was telling me about a place in Florida that advertises in "Street Scene" that makes speedo gears or custom adaptors. He promised to send me the name of the place once he gets back from a car show in Charleston WV.

Rowland Speedometer 727 410 6352 Palm Harbor Florida

Thanks, I'll give him a call !! I'll get back to you about power tour in a couple of days !!!

Can't wait to hear about all the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of power tour and all the new friends you made.

Well here goes the story !! We left home around 8 am In the rain! Met up with one friend in Penn Yan and traveled south to Pilot Truck stop and met 4 other friends. Total cars 4 !!

40 Ford 2dr sedan, 63 Chevy Belair , 65 Chevy Impala, and the Big Dog 64 Pontiac !! Off we went down Rt 86/17 in NY and then south on 15/99 thru Pennsylvania, Maryland, and final stop Lexington,Va. Nothing but rain on and off all day, but no problems !! Checked into hotel and came back out to go to dinner and Pontiac won't start!! Dead!! Thought maybe the horn relay/junction box was bad and replaced it, but nope that didn't work! Called AAA got a jump start and told that battery was bad!! It was new 2 months ago! Went to advance Auto ( lucky) and got a new one N/C  warranty !! Went to dinner all good !! Next morning Monsoons !! Brake light wasn't working right so we fixed that and some how fried the horn relay !! car would not start !! Put the old one back on and off we went !! Made it to Charlotte and all was good visited with an old high school classmate haven't seen in 51 years it was great catching up! Saturday was BEAUTIFUL at Z max Raceway!! Thousands of cars filing in and just a great day of watching drag racing looking at cars and bench racing !! No problems with the car! Very Happy !! Next day Sunday off to Martinsville met 2 of our friends at another hotel and police were there 3 trucks stolen Sat. Night 60's chevys trucks!! Bad Deal !! Started to rain on way to Martinsville and continued on and off !! Again just wondering around getting all our stuff punched,stamped, and free stuff. Next day off to Bristol,TN again rain, but it did let up by time we got there!! Oh lost an exhaust tip nearly took out my friends 65 radiator but missed all the important parts, pan,radiator, ect. did bounce off the rear end !!  Roads where terrible in spots and a lot of semis to deal with. Got to Bristol and looked under car and left rear air shock broke off at bottom on top of mounting eye. Great!! But it did still keep air !! Will fix this week. Bristol was fun and you could drive the track, but it was sold out first week in January before we registered. Downtown Bristol is really cool and we did our best to keep hydrated with many cold ones!  Except me I can no longer drink ( diagnoised with non alcohol liver disease a year ago) but still have fun !!! I'll leave this for now and continue later !! Thanks, Wayne

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

• Like 1

I've had a few friends run Power Tour Long Haul before. They tell me It's not without its share of mishaps and breakdowns, but the memories and friends you make along the way last a lifetime. Would you agree Wayne?

Yes I would !! Got home and have replaced battery again, new Altenator, and Voltage Regulator. Have a problem with power going thru fire wall into car. Going to start tearing that apart in a day or two. Have new heater/A/C relays ordered going to be looking for new plugs !! Any suggestions ?? Richard Childress Racing, Me at Indy, Jacking car up to fix shift lever, Pontiac Power !!

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2102.jpg

I am not sure what to make of this:  Steele Rubber Products - it says it's a Firewall Grommet. Picture and description are not right with me. Still it says its for a '64 Bonneville.

https://www.steelerubber.com/firewall-grommet-35-0515-20

Edited by Frosty

I have pulled the firewall plugs and cleaned the contacts and greased them up and put back in seems to be no issues. One problem is I bought a new voltage reg. and today found out it was for a idiot light instead of a amp gauge!! so have that on order! I think I have everything straightened out. I fried my $400. retrosound radio when the battery went dead, I contacted them and ordered a new master power cord and will see if that will fix it if not then I'm at their mercy. I have another radio that will fit the hole so I may go with that. You going to any shows this summer/fall ?? Also got new air shocks on car and got the shift linkage adjusted right! Happy with that.

Other than local Michigan shows you mean? I plan to attend the Motor City POCI and Seller's Indian Summer shows here in SE Michigan in July and September respectively. These are the last two of our "tri-power" Pontiac shows here in Michigan. I volunteer at my local hometown cruise-in every Friday night.

I am also planning on being in West Virginia twice this year. I will be attending an event on July 20th in Winfield WV for the WV Drag Racing Hall of Fame. They are having a cruise-in car show/fundraiser. They are also officially unveiling a historical marker there in Winfield for the first drag strip in the state of West Virginia. My dad and I donated half the funding for the marker, so they have asked me to come down for it (I lost my dad last July sadly). Unfortunately there are no open drags strips in WV at this time. The second event in WV is the Charleston Boulevard Rod Run and Doo Wop in early October. I will be down for that 5-day event. That's a chance for me to really connect/re-connect with all my WV friends.

• Like 1

Frankenmuth is 35 minutes from my house. Depending on the Michigan football schedule, I may or may not register for the car show, but at a minimuim I always come to Frankenmuth on Sunday mornings to check out the cars and the vendor area. In past years, Ilene Roth, a.k.a. "Trixie", "Big Daddy" Ed Roth's widow (of Rat Fink fame) is there. So I usually come and get a hug from her. So I will be there.

Notallthere, JUSTA6, and I also hang out with the Widetrackers on Woodward Ave during the Woodward Dream Cruise on the sound bound loop of Widetrack Blvd/Woodward in Pontiac. That's always the 3rd Saturday in August.

As much as I want to make the Ames/Norwalk show, I will be in Hilton Head SC again this year with the family. It's my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary this year, so the entire family has rented a house on the beach this year.

Edited by Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

Well just got back from Columbus Goodguys car ran Great until 30 miles from Buffalo and Tranny let go!!  AAA took it to my tranny guy in Buffalo and I'm waiting to hear what's wrong.

At least it's under warranty!! Sometimes you just have to deal with set backs !!

Dude, that truly sucks. Glad you got the warranty and it let go near home instead of Ohio. That towing bill could have been awful. 

Front seal blew out !!  Stuff happens, but a lot with me !!! I guess that's the price you pay for driving these classics !! I just think about all the smiles I put on peoples faces when they see the cars and that makes up for the frowns on mine !!

Yeah told that front bushing walked and took out the seal, bushing and burned some clutches!! They are replacing, bushing, seal clutches and torque converter. Trans is back together, but will be Monday or Tuesday before its back in the car !!  I went to a one wire altenator and volts were 14.4-14.5 while driving!! no problems with electrical. I put a GM horn relay on the inner panel to eliminate the horn relay on the junction box !! Works fine and a lot less that the $75-85 price on ebay and other vendors !! Retrosound stood behind they're radio and sent me a new one !! Couldn't be more pleased and impressed with their sevice and product !! Their radios are top notch and really blend well in the stock dash. A lot of comments that didn't realize I had an after market radio in it !!  My next trip will be to Pontiac Nationals only going for a day, but I'm retired and wife said ok!! I'll be leaving on Thursday and spending all day Friday at show. Then leaving that night and head towards Erie for the night and then to Buffalo Saturday for my nieces HS grad party!!  Let the adventures continue !! 

Glad things are working out for you. Sounds like quite the road trip you have planned for Norwalk and afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Sorry its been awhile!!  Norwalk was Awesome !!! Decided to set up in swap meet area and got set up on Thursday afternoon ! Sold over $100 worth of stuff that afternoon and another $150 on Friday !!! Drags were WOW !! and guys in swap meet were great !! Will definitely go back next year!!  Car ran great !!  2 weeks later went to Goodguys Grundy nats in York ,Pa had a great time saw friends that I haven't seen in a while !! On way home ran into 2 mile back up for Little League World Series !! 🙄 Car vapor locked, but coasted down the hill and it fired back up and no problems getting home !!! So anyway that's whats going on. Won't make Frankenmuth, but maybe next year. Have a college reunion in Nebraska Columbus day weekend Hummmm maybe another road trip !!! I'll keep you posted !!  If you're ever in the Finger Lakes of New York give me a shout !!   Detroit Autorama 2020 !!

See Ya!!

• Founders

Hey @wdl182, sorry to be a party pooper but as this is the public section of our forum (open to everyone) I removed your phone number. Protect your privacy and prevent any nasty bots reaching you. Feel free to private message Frosty with your number :)