Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Pontiac of the Month

gscherer78ta's 1978 Trans Am

2019 February
of the Month

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

We look forward to seeing you around!

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

14 hours ago, wdl182 said:

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

For the least hassle, a BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) bolt-pattern TH200 4R is the best route to go, in my opinion. The case is 2 inches longer than the TH350/400 case but it should otherwise fit your transmission tunnel with no problem. You will probably need to shorten your driveshaft or get a custom one made. You also will no longer have a transmission kickdown cable (assuming you have a TH350).

You can go with the more plentiful 700R4 transmission but that requires an adaptor kit to switch from the BOP pattern on the back of the engine to the Chevy pattern on the transmission.

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

19 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

You should also consider TH200R4 out of the T-type Regals and Grand Nationals. They were 3.8L Turbos. Heck, the '87 GNXs could beat the Corvette with TH200R4!

You will want to match the flex plate to the tranny. Talk to you engine builder and see what he/she recommends.

Thanks again !!!

Frosty, Hey found a 86 Monte SS trans $100. !!! good shape ! It has the dual bolt pattern bellhousing. No converter, should I use the lock-up converter or non-lockup

converter??  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Wayne

Edited by wdl182
More info

Ok I'm planning on the lock-up converter for this 200R-4 trans swap. Any suggestions on Stall speed ?? Looking at a 2100 stall or should it be lower say around 1700stall.

Wayne, what is the state of the engine? Stock, mild rebuild, or torque monster? That will help dictate the stall speed of the converter.

https://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/torque-converters.html&title=Performance+Torque+Converters+-+Torque+Converter

http://www.tcsproducts.com/media/1/TCS_How_To_Select_the_Right_HiStall_Converter.pdf

Just the stock 389 w/ 4bbl. Not going to Drag this one !! Just a Driver ( Everywhere !! )

Went to the Jeg's site and got a lot of useful info. Live chat and they suggested a min.2200 stall to take advantage of lock up converter.

13 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Went to the Jeg's site and got a lot of useful info. Live chat and they suggested a min.2200 stall to take advantage of lock up converter.

Okay that good to know - I'd could have guess that, but I would have been guessing with no facts to back it up. I won't do that to folks online.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thanks for that Frosty I wouldn't do that either !! You sound like a stand up guy that I hope to meet someday !!  Wayne