Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 Bonneville trans swap

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

14 hours ago, wdl182 said:

I've looked at several posts on transmission swaps, and am looking to swap my 64 hydromatic to a over drive unit. Any suggestions, 200r4 or ???

Thanks, Wayne

For the least hassle, a BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) bolt-pattern TH200 4R is the best route to go, in my opinion. The case is 2 inches longer than the TH350/400 case but it should otherwise fit your transmission tunnel with no problem. You will probably need to shorten your driveshaft or get a custom one made. You also will no longer have a transmission kickdown cable (assuming you have a TH350).

You can go with the more plentiful 700R4 transmission but that requires an adaptor kit to switch from the BOP pattern on the back of the engine to the Chevy pattern on the transmission.

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

19 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Thanks frosty I've read that a TH200R4 out of an 86-87 monte or cutlass are the strongest ! So let the hunt begin Looking at going on Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 !!!

Wayne

PS  What do I do about the flywheel ??

You should also consider TH200R4 out of the T-type Regals and Grand Nationals. They were 3.8L Turbos. Heck, the '87 GNXs could beat the Corvette with TH200R4!

You will want to match the flex plate to the tranny. Talk to you engine builder and see what he/she recommends.

Frosty, Hey found a 86 Monte SS trans $100. !!! good shape ! It has the dual bolt pattern bellhousing. No converter, should I use the lock-up converter or non-lockup

converter??  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Wayne

Edited by wdl182
More info

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm planning on the lock-up converter for this 200R-4 trans swap. Any suggestions on Stall speed ?? Looking at a 2100 stall or should it be lower say around 1700stall.

Wayne, what is the state of the engine? Stock, mild rebuild, or torque monster? That will help dictate the stall speed of the converter.

https://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/torque-converters.html&title=Performance+Torque+Converters+-+Torque+Converter

http://www.tcsproducts.com/media/1/TCS_How_To_Select_the_Right_HiStall_Converter.pdf

Went to the Jeg's site and got a lot of useful info. Live chat and they suggested a min.2200 stall to take advantage of lock up converter.

13 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Went to the Jeg's site and got a lot of useful info. Live chat and they suggested a min.2200 stall to take advantage of lock up converter.

Okay that good to know - I'd could have guess that, but I would have been guessing with no facts to back it up. I won't do that to folks online.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thanks for that Frosty I wouldn't do that either !! You sound like a stand up guy that I hope to meet someday !!  Wayne

• 2 months later...

Well, the project is going forward! My block is drilled for a starter so I won't need an adapter plate !! I have a 65 Flex plate and new 65 starter for the swap, I also have the 86 flex plate and starter readily available also. If I need the 86 flex and starter do I need anything else?? Should have old tranny out this weekend or next! updates to come.

Thanks, Wayne

I think you’ve got everything you need to get started. The only other thing will be to measure your drive shaft once the new tranny is in, to see if you need to modify it or not. I’m guessing it will need to be shortened and rebalanced.

I asked Butler performance about flywheel choice they said to use the 65 flywheel. Thoughts?? Yes I will be checking driveshaft length and have a shop close by that do driveshafts.

Getting anxious !! 

I am not one to second guess Butler Performance. They are one of the premiere Pontiac engine shops in the country - for a lot of good reasons. If they say use the 65 flywheel, take it to the bank.

Edited by Frosty

I hear you, but I also have the 86 flywheel and matching starter just in case !!  😉 The advantages of working for a Parts Store !!

• 3 weeks later...

Update : Have pulled the Hydro out of the Bonney!! The 200R4 bolted right in !!  The block was drilled for a starter so I used a 65 Pontiac starter and flywheel and everything lined up!

Had to remove 64 flex plate cover for it to fit. Will relocate cross member an will have Driveshaft to 65" center to center. Once done will hook up shifter linkage and TV cable. Couple of weeks and back on the road!!

Update: Driveshaft is in and fits great, just a little fabrication to trans mount. Starter will need a shim, but turns over fine. Aftermarket  Shift linkage hooked up to

original column shift and seems to work in all gears, but may need fine tuning once we test drive the car. Hooked up trans cooler lines and added an aftermarket cooler.

Just need to hook up TV cable and wire in lock up converter and test drive. 6 weeks till Hot Rod Power Tour !!!

Well test drove the car and the Tranny needs a rebuild !! Wasn't as good as described, but you take that chance when you buy used!! This is the first that I've had problems with in a lot of years! Oh well we pulled it in less than an hour and it goes to the trans shop tomorrow so we will see what happens !!

• 4 weeks later...

Tranny was rebuilt using heavy duty parts and opted to use a 1600-1800 stall converter instead of 2200-2500. Getting really good at doing this. Everything works as said and TV cable has been adjusted properly. Will go back on the lift one more time for a new speedo gear to get MPH reading close as possible. Leaving week from this Wednesday on the Power Tour!!  FUN !!

Wayne I think you’ve done a great job here. Once you get back from Power Tour perhaps you can share, with pictures, everything you’ve done to get to this point. I know I’ve followed your post with great interest!

well went back on the lift to put in new speedo gear and was sent wrong ones !! Said it was for a 200R4, but it's not probably a turbo 350? Not a happy camper! Will try to get right ones ordered tonight! Thanks for your support Frosty !!!

Got the right speedo gears but least amount of teeth 26 still has speedometer at 13 mph to slow!! Will have to change drive gear in tranny after the Power Tour !! Leave this Thursday

for Charlotte with 2 more cars 63 and 65 Chevys and 3 friends !!  Changed oil and filter put in 5 quarts and it only comes up to the "a" on add one quart??????  Must have wrong dipstick

in it? But at least I know where it is when Full !!