Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

  • Welcome to Forever Pontiac

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Recommended Posts

I want your guys thoughts on this. I want to put new wheels and tires on Lucy, my Lemans convertible, this spring. She is running the original 14" Rally II rims she was born with. They are tired, pited, and need to be sandblasted and re-painted. The stainless trim rings are scratched up and need some repair work. The tires are nearly 10 years old and are due for replacing too.  In the end, Lucy needs a new set of shoes.

To that end I bought a set of 15" Rally IIs from Indymanjoe a couple of years ago. I've had them powder coated silver and then I've painted the areas the proper charcoal gray. All I have left to do is to touch up the gray a bit and buy and mount some tires.

However, I've been thinking lately. Do I want to put total stock looking set of rims back on Lucy or should I upgrade her look a bit? I have three other options. Any option I pick, I don't need any trim rings anymore either and I could see about selling the 15" Rally II back to indymanjoe since I know he is still looking for a set.

1. I still have my old Cragar SS mags from my 1973 Lemans Sport Coupe, that I bought when I was 18 years old. They are rusting and need to be re-chromed. However, I still have them and I would not have to buy them, but re-chroming them could cost as much or more than buying new ones.

image.png.b9395284409055f7eee60fa093c5aae5.png

2. Do I purchase a set of 15" wheels - the  chrome version of the Rally II from Wheel Vintiques? 

image.thumb.png.e578c80cd0e741a356e4e5084009956f.png

3. Most expensive of the bunch. Do I purchase a set of 15" Foose Nitrous SEC wheels? I love the bead lock look of the SEC version of the Nitrous the most.

image.thumb.png.a1c75f7e9c751a4fd944a30eacae13df.png

So what do you think, stay the course with the stock 15 Rally II or go with one of the other choices?

Indymanjoe - I am curious to see which one you pick....and yes, you have first dibs on the old 15" set.

Edited by Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I like option #1 overall. Always like some Cragers when done up correctly.

The particular Foose wheels for #3 are not my taste but hey, if that floats you boat (and you want to spend the cash :lol:) go for it!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would change the look by going 17” Cragar or Rally 2's. Fill up that wheel well gap!

Edited by 360Rocket
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Personally I like the pontiac Rally wheels the best...

 I've  always liked the Cragar wheels too.....That being said..Also always thought that the ET mags...Don't remember what they were called...(diamond spoke maybe..??or possibly Torque Thrust..??) The 5 spoke ones with the semi polished rim part and the darker rough cast looking spokes in the center...Looked sort of the same style as the cragars but different...

 One of my friends back in the late 70s had a turquoise colored  68 Tempest with them on it...With Uniroyal Tiger Paw White letter tires....Looked like it meant business even though it had a six cylinder engine....He Also had a Kraco 8 track tape player with Mind Blower speakers..(Anyone remember those)??....Still have my Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo..8 track tape we played all the time....

Bottom line is...Whatever wheels you like go for it...

I understand the look your are talking about Two Lane....the ET's I remember were a variant of the Torq Thrusts design. I like the Torq Thrust design but I seem them everywhere these days. It is a little over done for my taste. However, they are classic, good looking, traditional muscle car wheel. 

image.png.28252867f6e09efb4da36607aa7ab353.png

Gawd.....I do remember the Kraco 8-track players and Mind Blower speakers. I put a set of those speakers in my Vega. It was connected to a Pioneer AM/FM/Cassette radio! Kraco's and Craig's were some of the first really affordable aftermarket radios back in the day!!!!

 

360 - The goal has always been to fill up the wheel wells with tire and rims. The stock 14" tires and rims just don't cut it. I made the mistake back in 1978 with the '73 Lemans and I put too much tire on the Cragars and the back tires rubbed the rear fender lip, so I had to add air shocks to jack it up and prevent it. It's what we did in those days.

Edited by Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I understand the look your are talking about Two Lane....the ET's I remember were a variant of the Torq Thrusts design. I like the Torq Thrust design but I seem them everywhere these days. It is a little over done for my taste. However, they are classic, good looking, traditional muscle car wheel. 

image.png.28252867f6e09efb4da36607aa7ab353.png

Gawd.....I do remember the Kraco 8-track players and Mind Blower speakers. I put a set of those speakers in my Vega. It was connected to a Pioneer AM/FM/Cassette radio! Kraco's and Craig's were some of the first really affordable aftermarket radios back in the day!!!!

 

360 - The goal has always been to fill up the wheel wells with tire and rims. The stock 14" tires and rims just don't cut it. I made the mistake back in 1978 with the '73 Lemans and I put too much tire on the Cragars and the back tires rubbed the rear fender lip, so I had to add air shocks to jack it up and prevent it. It's what we did in those days.

Tou

probanly had a fender rub issue because you went too wide not too tall. I had the same issue in a 69 R/T Charger. Went with Kelly SuperCharger N 50 tires back in the day when I should have chosen the M 60’s instead. Kept chewing the sidewalks until I got my Skyjackers aired up. Lol. The good old days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely went too wide. Like you, I went with L60-15s back in the day. It was a wide and tall tire in those days. I definitely chewed up some sidewall. I got the Skyjackers in a real hurry once I found out it was happening.

That's another reason why I bought the Percy WheelRite tool. I don't want to repeat that mistake ever again.

Edited by Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 1:44 PM, Frosty said:

I want your guys thoughts on this. I want to put new wheels and tires on Lucy, my Lemans convertible, this spring. She is running the original 14" Rally II rims she was born with. They are tired, pited, and need to be sandblasted and re-painted. The stainless trim rings are scratched up and need some repair work. The tires are nearly 10 years old and are due for replacing too.  In the end, Lucy needs a new set of shoes.

To that end I bought a set of 15" Rally IIs from Indymanjoe a couple of years ago. I've had them powder coated silver and then I've painted the areas the proper charcoal gray. All I have left to do is to touch up the gray a bit and buy and mount some tires.

However, I've been thinking lately. Do I want to put total stock looking set of rims back on Lucy or should I upgrade her look a bit? I have three other options. Any option I pick, I don't need any trim rings anymore either and I could see about selling the 15" Rally II back to indymanjoe since I know he is still looking for a set.

1. I still have my old Cragar SS mags from my 1973 Lemans Sport Coupe, that I bought when I was 18 years old. They are rusting and need to be re-chromed. However, I still have them and I would not have to buy them, but re-chroming them could cost as much or more than buying new ones.

image.png.b9395284409055f7eee60fa093c5aae5.png

2. Do I purchase a set of 15" wheels - the  chrome version of the Rally II from Wheel Vintiques? 

image.thumb.png.e578c80cd0e741a356e4e5084009956f.png

3. Most expensive of the bunch. Do I purchase a set of 15" Foose Nitrous SEC wheels? I love the bead lock look of the SEC version of the Nitrous the most.

image.thumb.png.a1c75f7e9c751a4fd944a30eacae13df.png

So what do you think, stay the course with the stock 15 Rally II or go with one of the other choices?

Indymanjoe - I am curious to see which one you pick....and yes, you have first dibs on the old 15" set.

Frosty, clearly your choice all the way! No one knows your taste or preferences like you, but since you asked for some input I’ll give my cent and a half! 

I love the old classic muscle car look as much as anyone! Still I feel there are always  things that can be borrowed from the past as well as the past borrowing from modern looks. 

To not drone on and keep this short, I like the Foose look! With the right offset and tire combo I think it would change Lucy in a good way, more aggressive! 

I would look at 17” or 18” honestly!

another wheel you might look at is the wheels I have on the Indian. There 18” , but can pass for 19” because of how the wheel is made. It’s actually made backwards, so the spokes on the larger inside diameter.

 

E8CC99C1-99E5-412E-A2C6-8EA4C5D6DA04.jpegIt looks like the Foose is done the same way! The Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 is some of the best rubber I’ve run in a long time!

Ok maybe it was a full two cents worth.

Edited by Last Indian
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I definitely went too wide. Like you, I went with L60-15s back in the day. It was a wide and tall tire in those days. I definitely chewed up some sidewall. I got the Skyjackers in a real hurry once I found out it was happening.

That's another reason why I bought the Percy WheelRite tool. I don't want to repeat that mistake ever again.

See I feel like the wheel black out between the spokes makes the wheel appear weak. And gives the appearance of the car sitting flimsy shoes, but a solid polished aluminum or chrome wheel gives a stout/strong appearance, IMO.

 

FDCF74EC-CE9A-4694-9611-B5FFE70FC89E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey buddy

1)  Can't go wrong with a classic Cragar. 

2)  Modern update to the Ralley's  keeps up the classic Pontiac look, with the upgrade JURY package your famous for.👍

3) These would look too much like your copying the OTHER Blue Lemans Vert......You know who I mean.  But does look really good.

Tough choices, but it comes down to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Interesting alternatives 360 - I had not seen these before. I will have to study them some more.

One thing I want to avoid is going into a plus size wheel (16" or higher) and the rim does not look proportionally correct. There is one rim on the market that I've seen (don't know the maker) that was a 17" or 18" rim and the proportions were bad and it looked awful to me.

I found one more wheel that really like - watcha' guys think?

Barry White's Super GTO wheels - from the old Wrecks to RIches show.

image.png.e78a8b6e36c872ae3119bc78f209241c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the OEM wheels on my Camaro a bit. I like it apart from the rivets/beads on the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm diggin' that wheel Frosty, but polished or chrome. Billet is officially dead.

Edited by 360Rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! I know a lot of Billetproof and Sins of Steel (a local Michigan version of Billetproof) followers who would agree with you 360 ! 

I was never pro or anti billet. I just want a sharp looking wheel.

Oh and by the way, Elvis is also dead man.....let it go!

image.png.62091863b004ecd1ae7f255af595b01c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elvis isn't  really dead..He's hanging out on a secret island in the middle of the ocean...With...Bruce Lee..DB Cooper... Jimmy Hoffa...and their pet Sasquatch....Waiting for the economy to get better......

That is a good looking wheel.....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Elvis isn't  really dead..He's hanging out on a secret island in the middle of the ocean...With...Bruce Lee..DB Cooper and Jimmy Hoffa...Waiting for the economy to get better......

That is a good looking wheel.....

There use to be claims of Elvis sightings in Kalamazoo Michigan for years after his death.

Funny how a company called King Construction started up with a guy named L-Vice on the payroll! :clapping:

At least Hoffa was a Pontiac man!

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My :my2cents:

You are probably regretting asking our opinions on what wheels to get, but I'm just sure you have been anxiously waiting to hear what I think, lol! :slap: 

I took this picture probably 4 or 5 years ago at a Pontiac show. I wish I had taken a picture that shows the wheels better, but they are 17" or 18" interpretation of the Honeycomb wheel. 

 

BB6_1_14011_zpsc240fabb.jpg

 

Being an old fart (Get off my lawn!), I'm afraid I like the old school rims. I'm a big fan of Rally II's (with no trim rings) and ARE 200s "Daisy" wheels. But seriously, don't listen to us, you know best what will look good on Lucy.

 

551833_777d56db497a_low_res_zpsew1eax5q.

Edited by stratman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.