Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Well bad news...

• Founders

Well got some bad news, the server is being a bitch and apparently IPB fails at backups because the one I've been using from them doesn't agree with the server, it keeps timing out. All in all its not the end of the world, we lost about 6 days worth of posts but that wasn't that much. I am sorry about this but at least we didn't lose EVERYTHING which I would have been livid and on the bright side I now know to use the server side backups when coding... :D

Anywho, the server is still being mean to Joe and he can't access it because his DNS is being weird and won't reset... :slap:

Back to losing the posts, I am furious about this but I will certainly try my hardest to get the backup to work!! In the mean time though please continue posting!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Ah, was wondering what was going on. Well, like you said at least everything wasn't lost. You do what ya can right? :slap:

Thanks! I'm already stressed out and this addition didn't help :D

Let me know if you guys encounter anything strange or find something that needs to be added! :rofl:

im on via a proxy but still cant get on normally.

:D

I noticed that siggys have been reset does that also mean we lost all our new members too?

Jim just set a cron job for it. Much easier. Then you can just restore it manually from shell/ssh if it ever happens again.

The forums backup feature NEVER works right. It uses PHP and therefore is limited to the amount of memory the server sets for php, and will time out LOTS of times to apache before it finishes a querry and you get a incomplete backup. This is the BEST way.

cd /path/to/directory/with/backups
suffix=$(date +%Y.%m.%d)
mysqldump --opt -uMYSQLUSERNAME -pSQLUSERPASSWORD -hSQLSERVERHOSTNAMEIFNOTLOCALMACHINE DATABASENAME > /path/to/directory/with/backups/DATABASENAME.$suffix.sql
tar -zcf YOURDBNAME.$suffix.sql.tar.gz DATABASENAME.$suffix.sql
rm DATABASENAME.$suffix.sql

Fill in the parts i wrote in capital and path to your directory.

it just uses mysql to dump the database itself to a .sql file. Since theyre like... 600mb+, it gzips it up to be like 1/5 of the size. I made this a while back, cron runs it on G6P at like 3am or something every day so I always have a backup. I use rsync to remote mirror the sites directories, including the backups, every day.

Mark, take a look at your greeting under your avatar!

OH yeah boy, check it out, we lost more than 6 days, cause I'm the Autobahn champ again, Phenom has been that for a couple of weeks.

• Founders

OH yeah boy, check it out, we lost more than 6 days, cause I'm the Autobahn champ again, Phenom has been that for a couple of weeks.

hmmmm... The posts said they were from August 30th and 31st so are you sure?

and I'll try that out Erik, I usually do it manually from server side but I coded some little thing that took the IPB backup which I was going through just realized that it didn't compress it into a .gz thus making the file too big and causing the time outs. Other bad news is the file is too large to run an SQL query for it all. I think we're slowly building back so I won't fiddle with this anymore in case the queries mess the DB up or something drastic where a backup fails yet again.

hmmmm... The posts said they were from August 30th and 31st so are you sure?

and I'll try that out Erik, I usually do it manually from server side but I coded some little thing that took the IPB backup which I was going through just realized that it didn't compress it into a .gz thus making the file too big and causing the time outs. Other bad news is the file is too large to run an SQL query for it all. I think we're slowly building back so I won't fiddle with this anymore in case the queries mess the DB up or something drastic where a backup fails yet again.

That's exactly why you need that cron job :lol2: Also then you never need to worry and it just does it everyday. Runs directly from shell so no timeouts from apache/php/sql. G6P Grew to big for that a long time ago. Especially with shared hosting limits.

• Founders

That's exactly why you need that cron job :lol2: Also then you never need to worry and it just does it everyday. Runs directly from shell so no timeouts from apache/php/sql. G6P Grew to big for that a long time ago. Especially with shared hosting limits.

In the process of setting it up :rofl:

look again.

still having issues loading up the site, loging on & when I do get on the site is slow as hell.

Jimmmmmmmmmmmmm HELP!

• Founders

wow. that sux. man. whats up with the backups?!?! keep us updated

I noticed one of my posts missing. Hopefully you can sort this out to prevent similar issues in the future!

Well the previous backups failed but won't have issues in the future :lol2:

still having issues loading up the site, loging on & when I do get on the site is slow as hell.

Jimmmmmmmmmmmmm HELP!

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!

What happens? What time are you accessing the site? What errors are you getting? etc... Tell me everything and I'll try my best to help, if its something out of my control it may take till the weekend so I can call the DC.

Tonight seens great sofar! :lol2:

But this morning and at random time over the last day or two. No error messages just the stuff I said. I'll keep you informed. This morning was pretty bad and was pissing me off so much lol.