Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Convertible top well material attchment point

I have to attach my well liner to my rear seat panel in my 66 Bonneville convertible but, I don't remember how it is fastened over the backing panel. There are a number of holes on the very top of the seat panel that suggest screws or a metal strip screwed on top across the top to hold the liner but, since I removed the original over 20 years ago I'm at a loss. From very hard to see clearly videos on you-tube I think it just folds over the top and gets glued, but again I'm not sure. Anyone here know for sure how they did it in the factory? It would help me finish this part of the top installation. Thanks, Bud

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The WELL material should be set in with the window portion and retained by a trim stick /channel piece, then it is just rolled/laid over it. (Up and Over) then draped over to the rear seat retaining strip. There isn't a good view depicted in the Fisher Body Manual but I did find this drawing on the web that gives you an idea of how it should lay out.

FOLDING TOP..jpg

Edited by SPRINT 6

Thank you Sprint 6. I suppose, "draped over the rear seat retaining strip" is the closest so far but, as you can see from the pics, there are some holes on top of the rear seat backing panel that gives the idea of screws to attach the well material but then again maybe not. If not then the material would be glued after draping over. Would you agree? The other pic shows that I did fasten the rear end of the well material properly. Bud

2018-11-16 12.57.34.jpg

2018-11-16 12.57.57.jpg

2018-11-16 12.58.23.jpg

On my Lemans convertible, the convertible top boot cover is screwed (via sheet metal screws) to a retaining bar directly behind the rear seat. I suspect your boot cover might attach  in a similar fashion into the holes you see in the top 2 pictures.