Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The ish on the Montana..

So the van has recentlm decided it hates me... multiple problems getting thrown at me. For the last couple weeks I'd been leaking on the garage floor lightly, nothing bad enough to worry, figured I just didn't tighten my oil filter enough and that was leaking, got down yesterday and tightened that up just a little to find my trans pan was covered in fluid, so my pan seal's probably bad, yay. Also been throwing up a SES light, usually just means my gas cap isn't on tight, but stayed on a few days. Checked it and says fuel level sending unit, $350 investment there alone. I'm also thinking I have a blown motor mount (thankfully on top of engine bay), which shouldn't be too bad, and checked my back tires for wear because I needed a camber issue fixed, just to look and find out that the issue is still there. Then yesterday my front speakers stopped working, pull radio out to find that I have loose wires pulling out of almost any harness plug back there. I think it's time to put the poor thing away and wait until spring to deal with the b.s. I didn't bother putting the radio back in and every time I get in it I'm pissed off because I know how much work it needs. Ah, I needed a place to complain about the car where people would understand. How many things can a car throw at you at once?? :agreed:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

How many things can a car throw at you at once?? :D

You may never want to ask that question lol.

Sorry man, sadly shit just happens. If its any condolences, I was freaking out earlier this week because both of my front tires were almost flat and decided to buy new ones... $500 later, I got out with new tires and apparently I needed an alignment :agreed:

Before you spend 350 on a sending unit go under the van and find the sending unit connector. Disconnect it clean it and repack with di-electric grease. corrosion is common on those connectors which may send a false error signal.

Before you spend 350 on a sending unit go under the van and find the sending unit connector. Disconnect it clean it and repack with di-electric grease. corrosion is common on those connectors which may send a false error signal.

Thank you for the info I will give that a shot, when I fill the tank up over 3/4 full it just says empty, but once I drive 100 miles, it goes up. The rest, Well walked to garage today to find a huge scratch in my stereo screen, and just decided to say FTW.. not meaning for the win. My girlfriend made me feel a little better, said when my school financial aid leftover check comes I should just do myself a favor and get a new, better stereo. We'll see. Next winter that Montana is getting an LS6 overhaul. Either that or just the rear wheel and complete engine rebuild. we'll see. It sounds ridiculous but I'm ready for it!

• 9 months later...

i would love to see a ls in a sv6 i have a 06 and a 2002 thunder awd. great vans and not to slow too lol. they like to eat rice

Woah! Haha welcome! :( you should create an intro thread, I'd like to see that van!

Well the van hasn't caused me too many more problems but I know it needs plugs and wires. Could probably spend a day tearing off the upper intake and polishing that up and porting it out but of course I'm just too lazy. I'll spend some time on it soon once I quit working two jobs, I just need some good time off!

Welcome to the site ks101 good to see another van owner there's not many on here! I was just saying last night I'd like to buy one of the older vans with a 3.8 and empty it out so I can smoke the tires clean off the rims. Hope to see a few threads from you!

Well I think the optimum V8 swap would be the 303 HP 5.3 FWD set up out of a late model Monte Carlo SS and I'll be happy. After driving my new Saturn the van just doesn't step up to the plate anymore. 0-60 in 5.8 seconds is just too hard to get out of my blood stream so V8 here we come... some day haha

Yeah, you've got the 3.5 right? Check G6 aftermarket parts for the motor, there's not too much for body but I did the dual exhaust and the airhorns myself. There's a lot you can do just use your imagination and check out my progression thread for influence :-)

He's got the older U-body van, so the old LA1 is under the hood.

Key to making those engines more efficient is airflow. Intake and exhaust are one thing, but headers, ported UIM and LIM, ported heads with LS6 springs and hardware, tune, etc etc.

The venerable 60*V6 pushrod motors are outdated, but to really make power, you need boost.

www.WOT-Tech.com

This site is an excellent source for engine parts, beyond just bolt ons.

www.60degreeV6.com

This forum is for hardcore tuning, modification, and forced induction possibilities with these engines, and filled with regulars who know the limits of these engines, and how to efficiently boost them and make power.

Well if it's the 3.5 pending upon how many miles you've got on it it's probably only pushing 185-190 HP... you could do a cold air and exhaust without harming the versa-trak. that in itself is dragging plenty of power off the motor so I can't imagine you have too much fun in the speed region haha, I'd clean out your throttle body and maybe even pop the upper intake manifold off and polish that out for a small gain. These vans are fun though haha it's worth a shot... OH by the way maybe do some larger spark plug wires and better spark plugs mine are junk my van misfires like crazy right now by I don't drive it more than 50 miles a week anymore so I'll take care of it soon enough haha

:agreed:

just realized I was suggesting parts for two different vans WHOOPS... well for the 06 I'd suggest all of the above... the 3400 I think your CHEAPEST best bet are all the above and on top of that I'd actually say to do it up and buy yourself a 3500 high flow intake manifold from WOT-TECH and call er good. :(

all i know right now is that the 02 needs new rear hubs and i get the gm discount so im going to do that first and then change the rocker panels to get it certified so i can put it on the road and it needs a new windsheild. atleast i wont be bored this summer. and the 06 has 37k miles on it and still under warrenty so i wont be upgrading that besides its my moms i just drive and take car of it till i get the 02 on the road

its been a week since i got it for free and its pushing me to scrap it grr nothing works. anyone know why the passenger window wont go up or none of my door lock switches work but the key fob does and i just realised it has no exaust from the rear axle back