Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pontiac 400 motor timing

I recently bought a 1968 Firebird convertible. It came with a supposedly all rebuilt 400 motor that was done almost 20 years ago just never got put in the car. Since its been so long I've decided to freshen it up. I'm not too familiar with pontiac, I've usually done chevys.

But I noticed that my timing marks do not match up. The crank will be a 12 o'clock and the cam will be about a tooth off. At what looks like about 5 o'clock.

The guy I bought the car from says they put a high performance cam in and that was all he knew about it. I took the cam out and since it has no numbers I can't identify it. So I'm at a lost as to why this motor would be set about 4° advanced unless there was a purpose behind it. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Does the bottom timing gear (crankshaft)  have 3 keyways in it.... 4 degrees retard..0 or straight up.....4 degrees advance..????? Or an offset key...???

if it does....Alot of builders like to use the 4 degree advance keyway...Or an offset key...Reason being that as the timing chain stretches and  wears over time it will wear toward the 0 or straight up position.....

Alot of newer street oriented  camshaft grinds will have the 4 degree advance ground into it already...to allow for the same thing without having to use offset keys....ETC. So you can just set it staight up...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

is that key offset by any chance..?? Might have to pull the gear off to be 100% sure...

If not could be whoever did it wasn't paying attention or was incompetent. During the assembly phase 20 years ago.....

Either way the zero marks should be lined up......

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP