Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

58Bonne's 1958 Bonneville

2019 June
of the Month

  • Welcome to Forever Pontiac

    We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

    We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

    We look forward to seeing you around!

Kurk_Kurk

My '78 Firebird Esprit

Recommended Posts

On 5/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, Last Indian said:

Curtis, just in case you’re unaware, you can buy oversized piston rings in incremental sizes, .003, .005 etc., but you’re going to have to dismantle the engine to hone it. In the end a bare block hauled to a shop and new pistons and rings may be the better choice. Honing can be tricky when it comes to true roundness and a straight bore! More often than not anything more than glaze busting will leave a block out of round and tapered.

 

On 5/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, Frosty said:

Agreed. This is not the news you wanted to hear and it is a set back for sure. However, look at this as an opportunity to prepare and blueprint the bottom end correctly. You don't have to break the bank if you are building a strong street motor. Yes it will cost you more money and time than you currently planned for. However, once it's done you will say to yourself (and your friends) it was worth every penny.

Fix it right now and you will have a strong, enjoyable motor for years to come.

 

Yup, i know about the oversized rings. im just worried about boring it over again. I'm already 30 over bore, so what would be next? 40 over? i know i cant go past 60 over, but i feel im cutting it close now. I'd love to see if i can get away with honing because of this. But if i absolutely HAVE to, ill take it to a shop. Thakfully my dad knows a guy that can get the work done really well for a case of beers and $300 

And frosty, you're damned right im gonna build this the right way without any Spectre oil pans or gaskets lol. I'll stomach the extra few bucks and buy some legitimate parts this time around. Im glad im choosing street though, can't imagine how much money i'd be down with a race engine build!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

28 minutes ago, Kurk_Kurk said:

And frosty, you're damned right im gonna build this the right way without any Spectre oil pans or gaskets lol. I'll stomach the extra few bucks and buy some legitimate parts this time around. Im glad im choosing street though, can't imagine how much money i'd be down with a race engine build!

In 2004, Lucy's original 455 gave up the ghost, and the #8 connecting split into 3 pieces. The resulting damage blow two holes in my stock oil pan, one on each side - driver and passenger side. So during the rebuild, my engine builder spec'd a Melling stock Pontiac replacement pan. I've been very happy with it, no issues or oil leaks with it. I have a rope seal, which does leak from time to time, but that is not the oil pan's fault.

How much does a race engines costs? How much are you worth? LOL!

Another thing you could consider but it costs more money yet would be to have the machine shop sleeve the motor and that would allow you to bring it back into stock bore diameter. Still that gets expensive when you are talking all eight cylinders. If this was a SD or RA motor, or a numbers matching motor on a very rare or valuable Pontiac, it's probably worth it. Again, how deep is your wallet? Still it is an idea to consider. If it's my money, I'd consider the boring to .040 to .060 first, assuming you can't get away with just the honing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kurk_Kurk said:

 

 

Yup, i know about the oversized rings. im just worried about boring it over again. I'm already 30 over bore, so what would be next? 40 over? i know i cant go past 60 over, but i feel im cutting it close now. I'd love to see if i can get away with honing because of this. But if i absolutely HAVE to, ill take it to a shop. Thakfully my dad knows a guy that can get the work done really well for a case of beers and $300 

And frosty, you're damned right im gonna build this the right way without any Spectre oil pans or gaskets lol. I'll stomach the extra few bucks and buy some legitimate parts this time around. Im glad im choosing street though, can't imagine how much money i'd be down with a race engine build!

Food for thought!

Here’s the problem with honing. A typical drill operated hone only follows what’s there, I.E. taper, out of round etc. than it amplifies it. You might get lucky, but if not than you’ll have to bore bigger than you might if you started with a block honing machine. If you start with a block honing machine first you may be able to hold the new bore to .010. Giving you just the .040 over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 10:36 AM, Frosty said:

Another thing you could consider but it costs more money yet would be to have the machine shop sleeve the motor and that would allow you to bring it back into stock bore diameter. Still that gets expensive when you are talking all eight cylinders. If this was a SD or RA motor, or a numbers matching motor on a very rare or valuable Pontiac, it's probably worth it. Again, how deep is your wallet? Still it is an idea to consider. If it's my money, I'd consider the boring to .040 to .060 first, assuming you can't get away with just the honing.

The numbers matching motor is long gone by now. It was your basic 305CI enigne and i didn't see much value in that at the time. Boring the engine is probably not the best in my case, considering i'd need all new pistons for the new bore, and my pockets are running shallow. Would it be wise to bore it out to .060 and then sleeve it to .030?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going sleeve one cylinder or all eight?

The machine shop will significantly over bore each cylinder in the block to insert the new steel sleeves and then they bore it to stock or whatever over bore is needed. So in theory, they can take it back to .030 over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.