Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Rear end stamp tube number

The stamped number on passenger side front of tube is cc a 0326b2 wonder if someone could give me any info on this rear end

• 1 month later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Did some more research, if this is in a '69 and is a 12 bolt, it is a 3.73 open rear end made on March 26 at the Buick plant on the 2nd shift.

CC= 3.73   03= Month  26= Day  B= Plant (Buick)  2= Shift, with no letters after the "2" designates this as an open (peg leg) rear end.

I had an open rear end with 3.08 gears in my '73 Grand Am, I was able to install a 3.73 posi unit from a '85 Monte Carlo SS

directly into the existing housing. My unit was a 10 bolt, don't know if the same will work on your 12 bolt.

You may be able to use your existing ring gear and just install the posi internals.

This brings up my next addition, if you still have the original 3 speed trans you are probably doing about 3300 to 3500 RPM on the freeway (Unacceptable by todays standards).

I had a 2004R trans from a '85 Monte Carlo SS  installed (mine had to be a BOP unit) and picked up overdrive which got it down to 2200 on the freeway with G60-15 T/A radials.

There was a reason the 3.73 ratio and the 200r4 were paired at the factory on the '85 Monte SS.

The only drawback was it would not always shift down and stay down when driving around town and tapping the brakes for making a turn or slowing in traffic. The TCC should drop out and stay out but sometimes the 4th gear pressure sensor will let the TCC re-engage almost instantly not allowing your RPMs to recover enough to go smoothly back into lockup.

Think staying in 4th gear at 15mph after slowing for a turn, motor lurching valves clattering ( basically all of the bad stuff in the bible). This was taken care of with a single 12v relay and a 12v delay on make timer connected in parallel with my brake pedal switch.

Sorry about the length of the post but one change usually necessitates another change in the performance world