Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New Guy, Old Car!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You will have to tell me how you did it (please and thank you). It looks amazing.

I dabble in automotive airbrushing so I know how lacquer, base coat/clear coat, single stage paint, and powder coating all work. THose are some great results.

sand blasted the faces and the base plate. the plate needed some putty work for all the pits. filler primer then a rattle can of gloss white. The rustoleum paint and primer stuff is a little heavier and sticks really well. After it cured, put the decals on and let them cure. then clear coated everything with a single heavy coat to fill in along the edges of the decals.

Located the gas tank and built the straps.  Always hate a vehicle with the gas filler on the passenger side, so switching that to the driver side while I'm at it. Now that I have the tank mocked up, I can blast the area and build the floor pan.

IMG_20180824_192942956.jpg

IMG_20180824_193101765_LL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BIGfoot455 said:

Frosty, it is Regal Red.

Thanks. It looks great. Who is the paint from? Eastwood, PPG, Valspar, House of Colors, Dupli-color, etc.?

• Like 1

Nason 1 shot enamel. I use Rustoleum oil based enamel until I find the exact color I want, then have a local paint shop mix it up in Nason. The grille and firewall are rustoleum, fenders are Nason and I will use Nason for the rest when that time comes. The black inside the fenders and on the fuel tank braces is just the "farm" version of Rustoleum, very heavy, chemical and chip resistant.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

rust out behind the rear bumper is fixed!

IMG_20181106_142107864.jpg

replaced someone's bondo and window screen job with steel. Unfortunately, they never closed the underside so the interior panel was screwed as well.

Front of wheel well A.jpg

Front of wheel well E.jpg

• Like 1

Frosty, it has definitely been a learning experience!  while fixing the section in front of the wheel well, I discovered the rocker had been welded to the door pillar in the wrong position. I knew the rocker was crashed, but damn! I never would have thought somebody would just weld it where it ended up. 1 inch too high and 1/2" too far in.  The new metal tab on the bottom is where the rocker should be!

rocker in wrong position.jpg

On 11/8/2018 at 5:42 PM, BIGfoot455 said:

Frosty, it has definitely been a learning experience!  while fixing the section in front of the wheel well, I discovered the rocker had been welded to the door pillar in the wrong position. I knew the rocker was crashed, but damn! I never would have thought somebody would just weld it where it ended up. 1 inch too high and 1/2" too far in.  The new metal tab on the bottom is where the rocker should be!

rocker in wrong position.jpg

Close enough for government work?

It's a shame someone would do that. Clearly this was a 'get it done quick - not right' repair. I am glad this car has you to take care of it now  so it gets fixed right.

Hang in there, bud. We are all rooting for you!

Look at it this way. When the car is done, only you and your closest friends will know where any of the sins of the past existed or still exist. For everyone one else, they will be in awe of your work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BIGfoot455 said:

Good point, all I have to do is learn to keep my mouth shut. It hasn't happened in 50 years so I'm not hopeful!

I can't help you there pal. :picard:

• Like 2

making new tail light lenses. these are just the prototypes, but the clear lens turned out great. The side lens lost a lot of color compared to what the mix looked like.

IMG_20181123_100835433.jpg