Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New Guy, Old Car!

Just joined. Hope to help with info and gain some in return. I'm currently working on my 1937. It is a 2 door sedan deluxe. Very hard to find parts that cost an arm and both legs!

image000000.jpg

36671156_2028608623829485_8862207682883354624_n.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Nice start to your project.

Where in SW Michigan are you located? JUSTA6, Indyman Joe, and I are located in SE Michigan. notallthere is in Sarnia Ontario. I work in Lansing.

• Like 1

Closest I've been was to see relatives in Paw Paw and South Haven. Perhaps we should meet up at the Gilmore sometime. They have a muscle car exhibit going on right now. A friend of mine has his dad's lightweight factory '65 GTO on display there through April 2019, along with a bunch of other rare Ponchos.

• Like 1

Stock 350/350 from a 79 van. Had to finagle the bottom radiator hose and trim the fan blades to keep the engine low in the chassis. I didn't want to cut the firewall or transmission tunnel.

Wouldn’t an electric fan have been easier? Or is there not enough real estate for one between the water pump pulley and the radiator ?

Edited by Frosty

I don't think it would have been easier, certainly take more time.  trying to get to the hold downs on the back of the radiator would be a BIG pain in the butt.  All I did was scribe the blades with the calipers, cut them on a bandsaw and bolt it on. no wiring or thermostatic switch. I didn't want to try and push the retainers through that 81 year old heater core style radiator either. If cooling becomes a problem or I decide to go with more performance, I might have to switch over to electric or go aluminum radiator.

A can of starting fluid, free no needle syringe from a pharmacy, sending unit off a salvaged cheapo gauge and miscellaneous stuff laying around and now I have a working 81 year old gauge that was chopped out of a car and thrown into a box of dash parts!

IMG_20180815_193842714.jpg

That's great work. Truly hot rodding ingenuity at it's finest.

Now that the gauge works, do we know if it works correctly and/or reasonably accurately?

• Like 1

works exactly as it should, and I only had to move it a few degrees to match my candy thermometer at 200. They used ether when it was built, so my using ether didn't change expansion rate or accuracy. And I could have suffered with a few degrees off knowing I spent $5 instead of $250! :)

I have new cluster decals, so soon it will look completely restored and work!

Just now, BIGfoot455 said:

works exactly as it should, and I only had to move it a few degrees to match my candy thermometer at 200. They used ether when it was built, so my using ether didn't change expansion rate or accuracy. And I could have suffered with a few degrees off knowing I spent $5 instead of $250! :)

I have new cluster decals, so soon it will look completely restored and work!

Excellent work my friend. Gawd I love doing things on "the knew" and on the cheap.

So where did you come up with the new cluster decals? Does some one commericially self them or you know someone who could make them up special for you ?

I asked someone that I found on the internet. Turned out to be a really nice guy and told me who he bought his from on E-bay. I contacted the seller and he listed one for me. How or where he came up with them, I have no idea. Just happy to get them!

Hold onto that seller's contact info. You never know when someone else may need it. Got a picture of the completed gauges or cluster yet?

been working on the original horns. All fixed up and LOUD! back to the body panels now. Just needed some completion motivation!

IMG_20180710_140319172.jpg

IMG_20180820_134517402.jpg

That cluster restoration is amazing dude! That almost looks like porcelain in these pictures. The horn looks really neat.

Excellent job my friend.

• Like 1