Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

SLP drops Firehawk Name and Support

A buddy of mine just got back from the Tri Power Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio this past weekend. He was invited to dinner with the Firehawk club. Firehawks were specially modified Trans Ams and Formulas by SLP Engineering in the 90s and 2000s. They also went on to modify Camaros, Corvettes, and later G8s. They are now modifying Mustangs.

At the dinner, the SLP rep stood up and said that SLP is dropping support of Pontiac cars. They will not be producing any more parts for Pontiacs and what inventory they have left is it. Also, SLP has not renewed the Firehawk trademark name, and it has now been picked up by Bridgestone Tires for a new line of performance tires. So SLP has dropped the Firehawk name completely. Needless to say this stunned the dinner attendees - nothing but bad news. :P

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Damn it. they were the only ones producing good parts for some of these pontiacs especially the Vibe.

Meh, no surprise to me. Pontiac is gone, and they need a steady flow of new vehicles to make parts for.

Sucks, but business is business. SLP has even made parts for the GA, the SLP catback is the best sounding exhaust for the LA1 motor.

• Founders

I understand no longer making products and support but the thing that gets me is after what its been through I would think they would keep the Firehawk name copyrighted at the LEAST. That seems like the quick boot to the ass to all the customers to me. Just like oh we're moving on, F you all! We only care about the future, not what we did to get us here...

Oh well nothing I can do/say...

I understand no longer making products and support but the thing that gets me is after what its been through I would think they would keep the Firehawk name copyrighted at the LEAST. That seems like the quick boot to the ass to all the customers to me. Just like oh we're moving on, F you all! We only care about the future, not what we did to get us here...

Oh well nothing I can do/say...

:lol2: :lol2:

SLP is doing Mustangs, and the new Camaro, and they never dropped to the Corvette. Still it is still a kick in the butt for all Pontiac owners.

' date='Aug 11 2010, 04:33 PM' post='35115']

the SLP catback is the best sounding exhaust for the LA1 motor.

best $400 i ever spent.

can anyone say they are surprised. they haven't made the firebird in 8yrs.

sucks to see it happen but it is business.

True, but they did advertise the Firehawk name recently in conjunction with the G8. I wonder if any got produced beyond the G8 prototype that was in their ads.

That seems kinda dumb, hell i know people with 3rd gen firebirds that would LOVE to get their hands on the T-Ram intake manifold that was on the 92 Firehawk, but SLP wouldnt make it again.

People for many years to come that purchase LS1 Birds are going to want SLP parts, why dont they see this? People soup up old cars more than they do new ones...duh

That sucks. Definitely saw it coming though. On one hand it makes sense since there will be no new Pontiacs and they need to keep making parts for newer cars to stay in business. On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to stop making parts for Pontiacs all together, and especially this soon after the brand was killed.

There are some platforms like the G8 and GTO that are still relatively new cars and have good performance potential, that owners would still be willing to buy parts for. Then there are other cars like the older firebirds that people are still modifying and since they can get the cars cheaper now they have money left over for mods. They stopped making things for the grand am a long time ago, and there are still people who want their exhaust or their STB's. It's just a shame. :o

I wont miss it. Their parts for the GTO's are crap, most notibly the Headers. Two guys I know with them said they rusted after one winter, and fitment is crap and always have small leaks cause of that.