Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

MAF sensor issues

A friend of mine recently purchased a 98 Grand Prix GTP that was throwing MAF sensor codes and, after a bit of driving, transmission solenoid codes. He was told by a mechanic that his 3.8 non-supercharged was throwing similar codes and he resolved the issue by replacing a bad MAF sensor.  My friend is also having problems related to shifting into 3rd and 4th gear at higher RPMs, which the mechanic mentioned could also be from a bad sensor.  After popping out the old sensor and replacing it with a brand new one, the car fails to idle and dies.  The engine will run if given some gas, but if he tries to drive it at all it stalls. 

Tomorrow my friend and I plan on looking for any vacuum leaks or other problems related to airflow, but if anyone has any ideas on why the car would fail to idle or start from a brand new sensor, I'd appreciate any help I could get. 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Can you give us a list of which codes it is throwing at you and your friend? It almost sounds like the new MAF sensor is dead, out of the box.  However, since the Grand Prix is experiencing multiple problems, I think it is likely there are multiple root causes. How many miles are on the engine and transmission? Has either one been replaced before?

Disconnect the battery for 60 sec and reconnect.  This will let the computer reset.  You were told NOT to touch the MAF with your fingers, right?   The oil off your skin will burn out the sensor (much like todays headlight bulbs).  Hope it's the easy fix. Good luck.

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Disconnect the battery for 60 sec and reconnect.  This will let the computer reset.  You were told NOT to touch the MAF with your fingers, right?   The oil off your skin will burn out the sensor (much like todays headlight bulbs).  Hope it's the easy fix. Good luck.

Battery disconnected, will give an update if this works. Sensors were not touched, and I'd imagine the car would idle fine with a broken MAF, since the old MAF idles fine (but the tranny doesn't shift correctly)

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Can you give us a list of which codes it is throwing at you and your friend? It almost sounds like the new MAF sensor is dead, out of the box.  However, since the Grand Prix is experiencing multiple problems, I think it is likely there are multiple root causes. How many miles are on the engine and transmission? Has either one been replaced before?

Solenoid B stuck on was the tranny code but I can't remember the MAF codes, if the battery disconnect doesn't work i'll find out.  Tranny and engine are stock, 67k miles. 

For the Solenoid B code, I would check the transmission oil. First check to see that it is at the proper level. Assuming that it is, you might want to consider a tranny flush and fill with a new transmission filter. You may have a sticking solenoid, valve body, or corrosion. Also check all your electrical connections for dirt and corrosion. Worse case may be replacing a bad solenoid, valve body, rebuilding the entire transmission or replacing the PCM. However at 67K miles I would not expect to rebuild a tranny.