Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

A Chaos Overview: 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan

One came into my shop today for some basic service. Front brakes and an oil change. I've never actually gotten my paws on a G6 before, so this was fun for me. It was a silver GT LX9 powered sedan, with around 88K on the clock. Obvious first impressions, the interior. I liked the steering wheel, and the dash layout. The seats felt nice, but that weird fabric compared to my GA's seats, meh. I also like the fact that I can manually switch off the auto headlights. Getting the car in the shop, the steering feels odd, very lose, then tighten up. Very numb, not a fan of electric steering. Doing the oil change, I noticed some similarities to my own LA1 motor, and some features I liked. I do like how the Epsilon chassis front crossmember is set up compared to the N-body. It's set more forward, allowing better access to the starter and oil filter. I don't like the remotely placed oil filter though. Compared to the LA1's block placement, just means more parts to fail and more distance for the oil to cycle through. Also, I wasn't a fan of the exhaust routing. Right next to the oil filter? No bueno.

The brakes were simple enough, but they seem puny compared to the N-body's single piston calipers. But easy enough to service and maintain.

Out on the road, the power doesn't feel that much different to my own GA. The LX9 has a bit of a different growl to it, mainly because of the bigger heads and better exhaust manifold design. The delay from the electronic throttle body was a bit annoying, I'd find a way to go to a cable setup if it was mine.

Also, I never realized the stock muffler, the inlet is in the middle, a center exhaust could be done too easily.

Would I upgrade to one? Maybe, but it'll HAVE to have LZ9 or LY7 power, with the 09.5 body.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

This doesn't make sense to me. The LX9 only lasted to 2006 in the Base V6 and GT's. In 2007 they changed over to the LZ4 in the Base V6 and GT's. I'm thinking you had an 06 and not an 07.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G6

• Founders

:badGT:

My year (2006) was the last of the LX9s, although they did use the 3.9L LZ9 for the 2007 Vert G6 GT "Sports" (or whatever it was called) because they had left over parts. I don't think they did that with the LX9 but I could be mistaken.

Definitely an 07. Said on the registration sticker on the window, and the build date on the door jam was 08/06.

GM lets some old models through, for example:

2005 was the last year model for the Grand Am, only SE models were supposedly made, yet I know of three people that own VIN verified 05 GAGT models. GM can be sneaky like that. :badGT:

• Founders
' date='Aug 9 2010, 06:42 PM' post='34986']

Definitely an 07. Said on the registration sticker on the window, and the build date on the door jam was 08/06.

GM lets some old models through, for example:

2005 was the last year model for the Grand Am, only SE models were supposedly made, yet I know of three people that own VIN verified 05 GAGT models. GM can be sneaky like that. :D

Gotcha, basically what I was saying about the '07 G6 GT verts having the LZ9 instead being a GTP with the LY7. Seems GM does this a lot more than I thought :lol2: