Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

electrical ie cuoustsey lights

Hi guys I started to fool around with my courtsey lights in my rear seat having a convertible they never worked even when I put in new switchs on the door so took it apart and the switch on the arm rest looked pretty shabby so ordered a new one and since this was a one wire on the old was told would need to ground this one having two wires, But the problem is I am blowing fuses  every time I connect them I would check with a light and seemed fine but as soon as I would connect the two socket wires bam there goes the fuse.I even reversed the wires on the new connector but the same blown fuse. My last thoughts could it be a bad socket now it is the only thing left that isn't new. I haven't checked the other side yet thinking the problem would on  the side with the main wiring.Any ideas would help not that it has to used but wanting to get another piece of my puzzle working

Thanks Terry

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Pictures would help here Tetru. I assuming that the two wires - one is power and one is ground. Most courtesy lights on convertibles are mounted low on the inner rear quarter or under the dash. I am guessing that you have to ground the lights to the inner body structure unless it connects to some specific wiring harness.

Hi frosty yes the new switch needed a ground the old one was a one wire unit finally found a good place to ground in the back and works now .Did notice there wasn't anything to light up under the dash thought maybe at least one light gonna look again if nor Ames has a kit to install one down the line,Oh by the way took it last April and the car guy redid the some of the wiring in the dash and he also installed a new circuit board and able to re do the distributor and got that  right he also added dual exhausts so am up and running till I start to fool around with something else but the puzzle is coming together,,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frosty let me see if I can pick your brain one more time. Had it her out all week it runs great and now having fun with it again then my GF noticed that my passenger taillight and brake light were very dim compared to the driver side so had her hit the brakes and sure enough one side is about twice as bright.I changed out the bulbs and still no different so wondering now is the sockets are just old and worn and need replaced??

Check the bulb sockets and electrical connectors for rust and corrosion. Check the wires for loose connections, broken wires, or cuts in the wire. 

Also check to see if the wiring harness to the passenger side taillight has a ground wire that is loose. I doubt that it has one it but it can't hurt to look. Make sure all your electrical connections are tight.

If that doesn't work, take a voltmeter to both the passenger side and driver's side and measure the difference in voltage. That will tell you how much of a voltage drop you need to find in the passenger side. So you will have to work your way backwards from the passenger side bulbs back towards the fuse block to find your drop. I hope you don't get to this point.

Hi Frosty I will try to clean them first I did have to change one socket out last spring because I got nothing and that is the brightest light on that side will clean and check everything I know they look old and sometimes age will slow the current down at first I look for a new harness but can't seem to find anything any where ...They aren't as bright and the big thing people don't look anyway so have to get then better

oh one more thing can it be a bad headlight switch plus notice that it is all one harness ...

Highly unlikely. I would expect all your lights to dim more or less equally if that were the case, same for the fuse. Its either old bulbs or bad wiring to be that selective. 

The problem with parts for your '69-70 Bonneville is there is not a lot of aftermarket love for it. Rock Auto does carry a lot of OEM replacement parts though.

Hey Frosty got it I cleaned the sockets and the grounds and followed the ground wire to where it was screwed to the body and found who ever had it sprayed under cover tar in parts of the trunk and just put the ground back on so took it off and sanded it bare along with the grommet and poof lights up like the other side.and your right it is really hard to find anything for the Bonneville but a guy on e-bay said the Catalina is just about the same and more parts out there. 

• Like 1

Hey Tetru, glad things worked out for you. Yes, a lot of Catalina parts will fit the Bonneville, since they are sister cars. My comment was aimed more at the '69-70 model years tend to have less available parts than other years. It makes it a tough car to find everything you need for it, that was my point.