Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Remembering the 1987 Pontiac 6000 STE

Back in the mid-1980s, the Pontiac 6000 was Pontiac's FWD mid-size car. The STE version was the high-tech, performance version. One could quickly tell the difference between the LE and SE versions from the STE. The STE had three headlights on each side, the SE and LE only had two.

This Autoweek article does a good job photographing a relatively unmolested 6000 STE from a Denver junkyard. While its not road worthy anymore, you can clear see some of the things that made this car stand out back in the 1980s

http://autoweek.com/article/junkyard-treasures/junkyard-treasure-1987-pontiac-6000-ste

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I owned a 1984 Pontiac 6000 STE and loved the car. I was actually at the dealer when it was delivered to Kemper Pontiac in Bridgewater, NJ during an ice storm and it was coated with ice on the car hauler. They had to hose the drivers side door down to melt the ice so that the driver could unload it. It was 2 tone color, Light Briar Brown/Dark Briar Brown with suede leather seats. The STE handled rather well being a 4 door sedan and had a cool electronic dash. No mechanical or electronic issues whatsoever. Had it for 8 years until I traded it in for a 1992 Bonneville SLE. Miss that car.

A work colleague of mine had a white one. It was a very cool car, and for a mid-size sedan, it was quick as hell (for the day and for a FWD car). It was a "hi-tech" for it's day as well. I loved the steering wheel controls and electronic dash.

In those days, we thought most of the cars were going to be electronic gauge clusters. Alas consumers preferred the look of analog gauges over electronic and stayed away from most all electronic gauged cars. So electro-mechanical gauges were develop (mechanical looking but computer drive electronics behind the gauge face) instead.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

We also had a 1984 6000STE.  It was our first new car.  Two-tone blue with a blue cloth interior.  It was a major leap for me to have a car with no points, a digital dash, and (how did they get away with this?) factory fog lights! 🤔  Until then, the newest car I had ever owned was a 1970 Formula 400 Firebird.

20180414_201332.jpg

• Like 1