Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1960 Laurentian - Canadian Catalina?

Found a 1960 Laurentian for sale on my local Craigslist. It says it has a V6 in it and that’s its originally a Canadian car, brought down to the states. 

Anyone have some good info about it? 

Are Catalina parts 100% transferable to it? 

Thanks! 

94389860-FBCE-47F7-8955-7FCE536F9530.jpeg

94F42310-DEBC-4A43-BDB0-7C8DA8D2E4AE.jpeg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Pontiac's of that era built in Canada are just basically Pontiac Bodies on Chevrolet Chassis. Thus why you couldn't get a WIDE-TRACK Pontiac North of the Border. Being on a Chevy chassis means it also would be Chevy powered and if the 6 under the hood is original it's going to be a Chevy inline 6. The Only Pontiac Engine in a Canadian Built Pontiac that I'm fully aware of is the OHC 6, but I'm sure there had to be a few other offerings.   

Edited by SPRINT 6

Spint6 is spot on with his response. The chassis of a Canada-only built Pontiac like the Laurentian were Chevy-based. Some Catalina/Bonneville body parts do interchange but others don't. Therefore you must be careful. So to answer your question about Catalina parts being interchangeable with the Laurentian, the answer is no, they are not 100% interchangeable.

As for the engine, it should either be an inline 6 or a Chevy V8. If it is a V6, it is definitely not the original motor as the venerable Buick V6 aluminium 215 cu in wasn't developed until 1963. All other V6 engines from GM were developed much later in the 1970s and beyond.

That said, don't let this diamond in the rough dissuade you from buying the car if you are that interested. Even at an all Pontiac show here in the U.S., you will probably be the only one. There are Canadian Pontiac clubs that can help you find parts. Also the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) embraces these cars too. So you can reach out to their technical advisers and try to use them a a resource to find unique parts.

Edited by Frosty

On 3/25/2018 at 5:05 AM, SPRINT 6 said:

Pontiac's of that era built in Canada are just basically Pontiac Bodies on Chevrolet Chassis. Thus why you couldn't get a WIDE-TRACK Pontiac North of the Border. Being on a Chevy chassis means it also would be Chevy powered and if the 6 under the hood is original it's going to be a Chevy inline 6. The Only Pontiac Engine in a Canadian Built Pontiac that I'm fully aware of is the OHC 6, but I'm sure there had to be a few other offerings.   

Good to know, thank you! 

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Spint6 is spot on with his response. The chassis of a Canada-only built Pontiac like the Laurentian were Chevy-based. Some Catalina/Bonneville body parts do interchange but others don't. Therefore you must be careful. So to answer your question about Catalina parts being interchangeable with the Laurentian, the answer is no, they are not 100% interchangeable.

As for the engine, it should either be an inline 6 or a Chevy V8. If it is a V6, it is definitely not the original motor as the venerable Buick V6 aluminium 215 cu in wasn't developed until 1963. All other V6 engines from GM were developed much later in the 1970s and beyond.

That said, don't let this diamond in the rough dissuade you from buying the car if you are that interested. Even at an all Pontiac show here in the U.S., you will probably be the only one. There are Canadian Pontiac clubs that can help you find parts. Also the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) embraces these cars too. So you can reach out to their technical advisers and try to use them a a resource to find unique parts.

The ad said 6 cyl, so I wasn't 100% positive on the engine. I'm sure its an I6. I'll have to go out to take a look at it then. 

The owner says that it runs and drives great and that its used as a everyday errand runner. It also only has 60k on the clock. KMs I assume. Lol

Never Hurts to look :) Here is a link to a site dedicated to the Canadian Pontiac's that may be of interest;  http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com

11 hours ago, markpetersonii said:

Good to know, thank you! 

The ad said 6 cyl, so I wasn't 100% positive on the engine. I'm sure its an I6. I'll have to go out to take a look at it then. 

The owner says that it runs and drives great and that its used as a everyday errand runner. It also only has 60k on the clock. KMs I assume. Lol

Good to see you back on the forum. We were afraid that notallthere was going to rule the moderator roost. Are you settled in now that you are in Minnesnowta?