Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Bright Lights

Go to solution Solved by Frosty,

13 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

last Indian, my plan is to grab those cibies off trademe, if i win the bid !🙄

and then score some hid kits, but what i may do is buy those off my trusted local auto electrician, so if they shit them selves i can go back to him 😜

and i will post here how the whole set up goes... and i bet your going to be impressed with the out come :cheers:

I have no doubt mate! Can’t wait to see the finish project & what you think of them!:cheers:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Today (friday) i have all my parts to change my headlights, i will be using the new girl(59 caddy) as my test bed for what i have.

i have on hand 2 x h1 cibie seamy seal lamps and 2 x h4 cibie seamy seal lamps, made by Valeo and... i am going led !😜

With philips units, not cheap by any means but i dont want to be changing them every year, i want them to last, and my research says they are just as good as hid units but draw less current and last longer.

Along with the fact they are a plug n play unit where as the hid you do have to wire them in ... trust me i have no idea here as i have never done this before....

i buy a head light and change it, i have never done a upgrade like this!🙄

now here is the kick in the guts, these led are illegal here!! even though they are readly available, nzta say your not allowed to do what i am doing, :stars:

so.... for anyone reading this, i will be using this set up for "off road use only" ... in nz.... hahahhahahhahha

Plan is to take some pics of before and after for you all, so you can see the results, this is my plan for this weekend..... but....

sounds like the daughter is going to have her baby.. lets just see if i can make my plan work!!:cheers:

worst case senaro i am a poppa again by monday :dancingpontiac::dancingpontiac:

and i dont get the head light job done 😄

lights.JPG

• Like 1

Kiwi - I am definitely interested in your progress on this as well, since I definitely want to upgrade Lucy to some bettern headlights. What size headlights are these - 5 3/4" each?

Also do you need to run a relay/fuse wiring between it and the stock wiring harness ? I've read other posts that this is required to protect the rest of the car even though I know most LEDs draw less current, not more.

SO I will be interested in the nitty gritty details.

Edited by Frosty

Hay frosty, yes they are 5 3/4

here are the Cibies with the leds all set to go. but first some pictures of what i am dealing with...

leds ready to install.JPG

I am using the new girl( 59 caddy) as the test bed

the lights were all over the place but here is some pictures of how useless they were

sealed beams high on drive.JPG

sealed beams low on drive.JPG

and here is the new leds on my drive way

led low beam on drive.JPG

led high beam on drive.JPG

i did have an issue with the head light adjusters being all cracked and i have ordered new ones today 

which was why the old sealed beams were all over the place.

caddy cracked adjusters.JPG

• Like 2

i went with the leds thanks to my auto electrician recommending them as to being way better than hids, no wiring issues and less load ment no requirement to add relays at all.

total load is now 5.4 amps with all 4 lamps on. 

below is the sealed beams on high and below the leds on high.

To be noted is what Last indian said, the cibies have a great line and i can see in the dark again!!!!:cheers:

sealed beamssealed beams high.JPG

ledsled high beam.JPG

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

If my early electrical training is correct, dividing wattage by volts = amps 

My old sealed beams where consuming 20 amps on high beam with the 5.4 amps now, which must be easier on the whole system and alternator :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i went with the leds thanks to my auto electrician recommending them as to being way better than hids, no wiring issues and less load ment no requirement to add relays at all.

total load is now 5.4 amps with all 4 lamps on. 

below is the sealed beams on high and below the leds on high.

To be noted is what Last indian said, the cibies have a great line and i can see in the dark again!!!!:cheers:

sealed beamssealed beams high.JPG

ledsled high beam.JPG

Kiwi I’m so glad things came together for you. Different improvement in the illumination and I’m sure it’s more dramatic in person! FYI, I believe the HIDs and the LEDs consume about the same power, but as a bulb the HIDs will burn you were as the LEDs won’t! I think the LEDs ballast get hotter than the HIDs though. I’ve thought of trying the LEDs in the Indian, but I don’t think there is enough room behind the housings, as the LEDs need the ballast attached to them!

looks really good mate! 

• Like 1

Yes last Indian, there is that big heat sink on the back of them, ( on the h4 bulbs) ( the h1 have fans )you would need to be careful that you had the room.:cheers:

Also the big thing for me with going for the leds is their life span is way better than the hids and i see i get a good 2 year warranty, and expected life is 8 years , but that must be based on normal usage, which i would be lucky to do 1000 miles a year in any of my cars total, even less at night.:dancingpontiac:

i am looking forward to getting the replacement light adjusters, setting them correctly and going for a burger run in the dark:dancingpontiac:with the boss😜

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Yes last Indian, there is that big heat sink on the back of them, ( on the h4 bulbs) ( the h1 have fans )you would need to be careful that you had the room.:cheers:

Also the big thing for me with going for the leds is their life span is way better than the hids and i see i get a good 2 year warranty, and expected life is 8 years , but that must be based on normal usage, which i would be lucky to do 1000 miles a year in any of my cars total, even less at night.:dancingpontiac:

i am looking forward to getting the replacement light adjusters, setting them correctly and going for a burger run in the dark:dancingpontiac:with the boss😜

Now that’s a great plan! Cruzin, burger, cruzin! What could be better! Well maybe a little racin! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Now that’s a great plan! Cruzin, burger, cruzin! What could be better! Well maybe a little racin! 

Hmm, i have a good mate with a 440 69 charger who just hangs out big time to go racing... he is a ex stock car racer and likes street racing just for shits and giggles 

We had a play a few years back, me in the orange 72 camaro and he kicked my arse , but he has been pushing to get me out there in the hellcat to have another go!, am keen but soo cant tell the boss :mod:

she would kill me! hahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Hmm, i have a good mate with a 440 69 charger who just hangs out big time to go racing... he is a ex stock car racer and likes street racing just for shits and giggles 

We had a play a few years back, me in the orange 72 camaro and he kicked my arse , but he has been pushing to get me out there in the hellcat to have another go!, am keen but soo cant tell the boss :mod:

We won't tell. Honest Injuns!!!!

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2020 at 5:16 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Most men die before their wives. Why? Because they want to. 

Men who die at the hands of their wives....different question.

18 hours ago, Last Indian said:

No, No, No, you can never ever tell them!! It will not end well, trust me!! When you have 600+ hp under you and things go a certain way - - - sh - - t happens; and when they’re sitting next to you!!! Well! Trust me if they’re not there don’t tell em!

So what you are saying Last Indian is you are calling "shotgun"?

Wish I had thought of that.

• Haha 1

Ok - now that that is cleared.

Kiwi - if you go out racing with your mate - I call shotgun. I'll go with you....and I won't tell the little woman. I'd like to know drag racing in a Hellcat is anything like drifting in a Hellcat (which I an opportunity to do at the M1 Concourse a couple of years ago. It was awesome!).

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ok - now that that is cleared.

Kiwi - if you go out racing with your mate - I call shotgun. I'll go with you....and I won't tell the little woman. I'd like to know drag racing in a Hellcat is anything like drifting in a Hellcat (which I an opportunity to do at the M1 Concourse a couple of years ago. It was awesome!).

Oh mate, having a drift in a 707hp any car would have been soooo cool! 

its something i have never done.🙄

So today, Sunday, i got an whole hour to work on my light project in the caddy ginny pig :o

i bought the new light adjusters out of my good mates shop in Auckland, Chucks restoration supplies👍 at a cost of $53.00

new adjusters.JPG

And removed the head light buckets, with all their old worn, cracked adjusters and 61 years of hard work🙄

old adjusters repaired.JPG

• Like 1

assembled the new clips and just for the hell of it, i put anti seize lube on them, which may or may not make a difference long term.

and gave the head light buckets a clean and rattle can recon, just make them tidy.

its so damn cold here that my paint wont set, so thats it for today.

i will assemble them when i get a chance.... still waiting on my grand daughter... she still hasnt made it into the world yet and shes 4 days over due now !

new and old adjusters.JPG

paint buckets.JPG

To be noted is that these adjusters are just the same as any one with a 58-61 pontiac has too!:o

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Congrat's on the grand daughter.  When ever she makes her grand entrance.   Is it your 1st?

number 2 mate, daughter has a son thats 2, hes poppas mate 👍

• Like 1