Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What year did Pontiac get it's first V8?

Trivia question. What year did Pontiac get it's first V8 engine?

Edited by Frosty

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Trivia question. What year did Pontiac get it's first V8 engine?

1932, but only that year, after that they ran straight 8s till 55. The V8 in 32 was actually from the Oakland.

• Like 1

Give that man a cigar.

The first Pontiac V8 automobile was built in 1932, running the Oakland V8. The Oakland V8 debuted in 1930 and ran for two years until Oakland was discontinued in 1931. The Oakland engine lasted one more year under Pontiac before it was discontinued completely.

https://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/sites/default/files/storypdf/The-Oakland-V-Eight.pdf

Easily identified but seldom seen anymore by the unique hood ornament.                                                                                                                                                                                                        I drooled over the '32 in the link below when I first came across the ad.   

https://www.cars-on-line.com/57014.html

32 v8 HO.jpg

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Give that man a cigar.

The first Pontiac V8 automobile was built in 1932, running the Oakland V8. The Oakland V8 debuted in 1930 and ran for two years until Oakland was discontinued in 1931. The Oakland engine lasted one more year under Pontiac before it was discontinued completely.

https://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/sites/default/files/storypdf/The-Oakland-V-Eight.pdf

Frosty, since you bring up the interesting and obscure from time to time I thought I might ask you, and I know you know what a Trophy 4 is, but perhaps you could share some of your knowledge about it with folks. I had a friend who had one in 1967, but I really didn’t have an appreciation for it then. All these years later I do, but haven’t seen one since those days. 

I saw a half 389 or Trophy 4 cyl. In a local junkyard within the last year.. Was in a 62 or 63 Tempest..What was left of it...Was missing the cylinder head..Had probably been robbed off of it years ago..Rest of the engine...Exposed to the elements....Think the Intake and carb..was laying on the floor. On the only little non rusty solid spot inside the car... Don't know if it still had the transaxle in it or not.....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Love the Trophy 4 ;) I reassembled this '63 Tempest years ago for my good friend after it came out of paint and sat in pieces for almost eight years before I just had to step in. We put 300+ miles on this one at the past POCI convention in Texas. Original low mileage engine taken apart no excessive wear found, everything checked out cleaned and re-assembled. Car never missed a step in that Texas Heat. 

36052948721_e7a3aa9e15_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Frosty, since you bring up the interesting and obscure from time to time I thought I might ask you, and I know you know what a Trophy 4 is, but perhaps you could share some of your knowledge about it with folks. I had a friend who had one in 1967, but I really didn’t have an appreciation for it then. All these years later I do, but haven’t seen one since those days. 

Last Indian, I will be happy to talk about the Trophy 4 motor. I will start a new thread on it.