Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Let me ask a clarification question. Are you talking about HEI (as in the coil-in-cap style distributors from the mid-70s onward) or are you interesting in breaker-less/point-less distributors were you don't ever worry about installing points and a condenser ever again but appears to be stock distributor?

I run the latter in Lucy. I have a stock Pontiac distributor that runs a Petronix II pointless solid-state conversion kit.  I run a stock vacuum advance. It's an easy installation but it is easier to install with the distributor out of the engine but it can be done with the distributor still in the engine too. I also run a light spring and weight package to get the mechanical advance out as soon as possible. A spring kit runs around $7-9, a Petronix  solid state conversion kit runs around $65-100 from Summit Racing.

An HEI distributor will require you replacing the stock distributor with an HEI one. A cheap Summit Racing brand HEI distributor will run around $167 (or more for a brand name) - plus shipping.

Also with an HEI distributor you have to re-gap your plugs from .035 to .040.

I will say that I am happy with my Pertronix. Mind you, I don't go racing in it but I still do quite a bit of lead foot / spirited driving on the highway and it doesn't disappoint.

I am sure my other FP colleagues will weigh in with their opinions.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Let me ask a clarification question. Are you talking about HEI (as in the coil-in-cap style distributors from the mid-70s onward) or are you interesting in breaker-less/point-less distributors were you don't ever worry about installing points and a condenser ever again but appears to be stock distributor?

I run the latter in Lucy. I have a stock Pontiac distributor that runs a Petronix II pointless solid-state conversion kit.  I run a stock vacuum advance. It's an easy installation but it is easier to install with the distributor out of the engine but it can be done with the distributor still in the engine too. I also run a light spring and weight package to get the mechanical advance out as soon as possible. A spring kit runs around $7-9, a Petronix  solid state conversion kit runs around $65-100 from Summit Racing.

An HEI distributor will require you replacing the stock distributor with an HEI one. A cheap Summit Racing brand HEI distributor will run around $167 (or more for a brand name) - plus shipping.

Also with an HEI distributor you have to re-gap your plugs from .035 to .040.

I will say that I am happy with my Pertronix. Mind you, I don't go racing in it but I still do quite a bit of lead foot / spirited driving on the highway and it doesn't disappoint.

I am sure my other FP colleagues will weigh in with their opinions.

I should have said that I am favoring the Petronix pointless set up like you have. Cheaper and people seem to like it a lot. I'm not a racer either, so no need to get too fancy.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Frosty on this one...Petronix set up with the light springs for the advance is a good reliable way to go...Especially on a street engine, looks original from the outside too...Have used it many times with good results...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Petronix is great when new. However, they fail often. When you run a hei you can get any part anywhere for it. When your petronix module frys, and they all do, you are stuck until summit or jegs can overnight you one. There is no performance advantage, the hei is superior in every way. Research it. Pontiac knew what they were doing. Larger cap, less crossfire. More amps to the plugs = wider gap= more power.