Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Clock won't display

Hello. Here's my dilemma. I bought my 2000 Grand Am Saturday from the previous owner. Turns out there's a cd stuck in the car's radio. I saw on google about holding in the eject & power button simultaneously for 10 seconds for a force eject. Did this with the car on & off. Now the clock won't display & the cd hasn't come out. Is there a way to get the clock back on & the cd out?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have a couple of ideas.

1. Check your owners manual and find out which fuse controls the radio. Write down all your radio station settings (AM/FM/XM if necessary). Pull the fuse and leave it out for about 30 seconds. Put it back and try ejecting the CD. This for an electrical reset of the radio and it will probably force you to manually re-enter the time and radio stations.

2. Get a clean putty knife and put two-side adhesive tape on it and carefully reach in and stick the tape onto the stuck CD and hit the eject button.\

BTW - if the clock isn't displaying, how do you know the radio has power? If you turn it to the radio, does it show the station or light up at all? If not, checking the fuse may indicate a blow fuse - which would explain a lot of things.

Edited by Frosty

I've played the radio so I know that still works. Just bought the car so I don't have any stations saved yet. Will try the fuse idea. Thanks for the advice.

3 hours ago, ja5838 said:

Hello. Here's my dilemma. I bought my 2000 Grand Am Saturday from the previous owner. Turns out there's a cd stuck in the car's radio. I saw on google about holding in the eject & power button simultaneously for 10 seconds for a force eject. Did this with the car on & off. Now the clock won't display & the cd hasn't come out. Is there a way to get the clock back on & the cd out?

The radios in those cars came with a pass code protection. I can’t recall all of the detail at this moment, but under certain situations it lock and then you need the code. If this were to be the case see if the previous owner has the code. If not google what to do in the case of pass code lock. 

I pulled the fuse to the radio & kept it out for 30 seconds & put it back in. Nothing happened. So, if I disconnect the battery, that would help?

Edited by ja5838

1 hour ago, ja5838 said:

I pulled the fuse to the radio & kept it out for 30 seconds & put it back in. Nothing happened. So, if I disconnect the battery, that would help?

Actually if you disconnect the power in anyway from the radio and the unit has the pass code anti theft option set you can’t do anything with the radio when you repower it.

the attach link explains the process to unlock the radio if that is the problem.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/blog/how-to-unlock-your-chevy-or-gmc-radio-without-paying-a-dime

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

Would it help to take the radio out & disconnect it & put it back in? The radio works, it's just the display, time & stations, nothing shows up in that window & It's not a problem with the bulb. It's just a matter of getting the display to work.

1 hour ago, ja5838 said:

Would it help to take the radio out & disconnect it & put it back in? The radio works, it's just the display, time & stations, nothing shows up in that window & It's not a problem with the bulb. It's just a matter of getting the display to work.

Yes that too is a common problem, the display goes bad. Sometimes they’ll display, but it will be jumbled.

This places is reliable, I’ve done business with them. Reasonably priced.

http://www.oemradios.com/gm_radios.php