Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Chevrolet Corvette C8

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

I'm curious about this, I don't know if doing this with the Corvette is a smart move unless it truly out-performs its predecessors and the competition.

They've been claiming that "The Next Corvette" will be mid-engine since the early 80s lol. Do I beilieve that the Corvette will be mid-engine? Not yet. I still think that the Corvette tends to older men and muscle car guys. Most Corvette don't know anything about their 50/50 weight balance and handling capabilites. Most owners just know "it has 400 hp" so once the Corvette is recognized as more than just a straight line car, it will go mid-engine

I have to agree with this...

johnk wrote:

no need for mid engine. they have equal weight distribution already. the only radical change the corvette needs is all-wheel drive. that would totally change the driving dynamics. it would still be front engine and run tracks like mid engine cars.

3/29/2010 12:39 AM EDT

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100317/C...5#ixzz0uF9kgkur

AWD plus high HP equals massive amount of win.

now this is what they should do with the monaro/gto platform.

im not feeling the vette pictured in that article though. it looks like what you would end up with when a corvette and a lambo had sex.

AWD plus high HP equals massive amount of win.

now this is what they should do with the monaro/gto platform.

im not feeling the vette pictured in that article though. it looks like what you would end up with when a corvette and a lambo had sex.

AGREE!

C8? They haven't even announced C7 yet.

But anyway, yeah I don't see it happening. Why would they really need to go mid engine? With the current setup of trans in the back and engine in the front but almost behind the front axle line, they already have great weight distribution. And it is already much more than "a straight line car".

AWD I could see being beneficial for something like the 638hp ZR1, but for the average 430hp street model... unnecessary. It would just add weight and hurt fuel efficiency. As for going to a turbo V6, there is only one reason I think they would ever do that in the future. Government regulations. They are going to continue getting tighter and tighter restriction on fuel economy and emissions, and eventually they may have to go to turbo V6 power in order to meet those requirements and still offer the HP levels that consumers demand, and they will probably have to go to a smaller car with high tech composites to save weight and meet their performance goals as well.

Mid engine thing does not appeal to me and neither does a V6. If that is the styling of the new Vette then I do not think I would even look at it. I like the unrefined grunt that the Vette tends to represent to me anyways. Now if I could get it in my price range then that would be a different story.

High-revving buzzsaw that looks like an Acura NSX with vette flags on it??? No thanks. I'm a fan of speed in almost any form but compared to the current and past vettes this would be a step in a wrong direction in my eyes. Vette owners want a corvette, they want the sound of a v8. This is almost like putting a truck bed and gooseneck hookup on a mustang and expecting them to sell like hotcakes. Just my humble opinion. Flame away...

V6's, 4 banners & turbos are the future and the days of V8's are numbered. Now with that said im not ready for the future yet! Also thanks Obama for the push for smaller engines even sooner. jerk! Now as far as mid engine meah who cares, put the engine were it belongs........up front silly. lol