Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Jim Wanger's Condition

I got this from the Performance Year's forum this morning. It was posted by Old Man Taylor. It would appear that Jim Wanger's health is deteriorating. As many of you know, Jim is considered the Godfather of the GTO and the authority on Pontiac advertising in the Widetrack era. I consider myself fortunate enough hear him lecture, to know him, and converse with him.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813860&p=5833581&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ed37&utm_content=iss18

Jim Wangers has had increasing problems with his memory for some time now. Today his Administrative Assistant (really more like a daughter) posted this on the GTO Tiger Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GeeTOTiger/...location=group).

"Dear Pontiac Friends and Family,

Many of you have heard rumors concerning Jim Wangers and his current health status. Let's set the record straight shall we?

Jim was diagnosed with dementia, possibly Alzheimer's Disease, four years ago. Up until this past Fall he seemed to be getting along pretty well. Unfortunately this horrible disease takes no prisoners and that is no longer the case.

Jim is currently living in an assisted living facility (soon to move to a Memory-care facility) in Oceanside, CA. He is getting wonderful care, his overall health is good (he still walks unassisted), in no pain and seems to be content.

Our office will be closed by January 29th, 2018 as will our website and Facebook page.

I have had the honor to work for Jim for almost 20 years and it is hard to see this hideous disease take such a toll on this great mind. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

I'd also like to say thank you to the friends I've made during my travels all over this great country following Jim. You opened your arms to a non-car gal and made me feel welcome where ever we went.

On behalf of Jim Wangers and the GeeTO Tiger may life bring you love, joy, good health and many GrrrrrrEAT adventures!

Jeanne Weiss
Assistant to Jim Wangers
Jim Wangers Productions, Inc"

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

This was recently posted in the Performance Years forum with an update on Jim Wangers. Old Man Taylor posted the information but the information came from JIm Wanger's nephew, Gordon. 

"Below is a note from Jim Wangers nephew, Gordon.

On Jan 25, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Gordon Wangers <[email protected]> wrote:

Merrill Gardens 

760-659-3543; 3500 Lake Boulevard; Oceanside, CA 92056 

Dear Pontiac Enthusiasts, 

As Jim Wangers' next of kin and legal guardian, I wanted to update you on his condition as there seems to be some misunderstanding out there in Pontiac land. 

Like my father, his brother, Robert, Jim is stricken with Alzheimers and dementia. It is a terrible disease that destroys the mind slowly and also affects physical capabilities over time. My father died several years ago of the same symptoms, but his illness lasted over four years and it was difficult to watch the slow deterioration that is characteristic of this ailment, for which there is no treatment.

With the TLC and lovingkindness demonstrated by his primary caregiver, Jeanne Weiss, assisted by my longtime PA Barbara Rush, Jim is living very comfortably at age 91 in a lovely facility called Merrill Gardens located just off Highway 78 and College in Oceanside. The contact information for Merrill Gardens is listed at top of this message.

The real purpose of this is to encourage you all to come and visit Jim. Visitors are strongly encouraged and help keep the mind and memory stimulated. You can call ahead to let them know you are coming but is not critical as to be blunt, he most likely won't remember even if you call the day before. You can just show up around lunch time ideally, the dining room is quite good and you will be our guests. Just check in at the front desk and let them know you are looking for Jim. It varies from day to day but he will almost certainly remember you all and be thrilled to see you. 

Thanks in advance for making the trip. Please contact Jeanne or Barb via email if you need further info or want to just confirm your visit.

Sincerely,

Gordon Wangers 

[email protected] 

760.801.1708"

Edited by Frosty

• Founders

Sad to see. Such a horrible disease, my grandpa who is a little bit older than Jim is encountering this as well. He remembers the past like it was yesterday but doesn't remember the last ~20 years quite well. Saw him last year in September and he didn't know who I was but we showed him some younger pictures and he perked right up to see me.

I agree with you Ringo. My dad turned 90 this past December.  In the last year I've seen the most mental deterioration ever from him, along with a great deal of physical deterioration as well. It's been extraordinarily hard to watch. We started 24 x 7 care with him at the beginning of the year because he simply cannot take care for himself anymore. It's very sad to watch a great engineer come to this point. However, the girls have put weight on him (he lost 20 lbs in the nursing home) and stabilized his medications and his routine. 

I am fortunate that my dad's dementia is not so bad that he still knows who my brother and I are.

Edited by Frosty

• Founders

Sad to hear. That's good he's gaining weight and treated well! That's about when my grandpa took a turn like that. He had a stroke and we decided to put him in a nursing home. Luckily, there is a solider's home near where he used to live that is fantastic. Love the people there and what they do for him.

Aloha, just heard, 1st off ina rare moment of honesty my MD told me there no cure, stuff 4 early stage but it only slows it down cuz i cared 4 mom 4 her last 8 yrs & she went fr 4getful 2 a breathing meat bag & 2 watch sum1 slooowly change & all the care 4 trimings that r involved, gaining in intensity as they get worse, an incideous disease but painless 2 those afflicted thank fully all the best 2 Mr Wangers & his family aloha hb🖐

Aloha Bob. A friend of mine went through the same thing with his mother. I can't imagine what its like to watch your parents forget virtually everything - even who their own children are.

While my father is 90 and does not have this disease, he still has some level of dementia. It is still hard to watch a brilliant man and engineer degenerate before your eyes. A man who has seven patents to his name, was in aviation, rocket science, and automotive engineering, now sits and watch TV all day. There are some days I just want to sit down and cry.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Aloha Bob. A friend of mine went through the same thing with his mother. I can't imagine what its like to watch your parents forget virtually everything - even who their own children are.

While my father is 90 and does not have this disease, he still has some level of dementia. It is still hard to watch a brilliant man and engineer degenerate before your eyes. A man who has seven patents to his name, was in aviation, rocket science, and automotive engineering, now sits and watch TV all day. There are some days I just want to sit down and cry.

It’s a horrible disease, my mother-in-law had it for ten years and past at 91. Still none of its easy to watch whatever it is. My father-in-law suffered and deteriorated from prostate cancer, very ugly to watch, my mom with bladder cancer not as bad, but still very rough and I lost my older brother at 23 to a seven year battle with a cancer they couldn’t even identify so he became a case study.

So Frosty you surly have my sympathy and prayers. Your dad knows how much you care though, I know he does!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Last Indian said:

So Frosty you surly have my sympathy and prayers. Your dad knows how much you care though, I know he does!

You are quite right there my friend. Every time I leave my dad's house I hug and kiss him and tell him I love him. He does the same.  So I know if he died peacefully in his sleep, I would be at peace with that, knowing that the last thing we said to each other was how much we loved each other.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Much of this article we already know....particularly his dementia.  However,t he articled does a good job summarizing Jim's career.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/jim-wangers-retiring-public-eye-age-91/