Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi! so yesterday i stopped after driving the 73 LeMans 350 and when i turned of the engine a lot of pressure and vapor went from the hood i opened and it was coming out from the overflow with a strange noise ( i suppose because the pressure). Smelly water was coming out from down the dashboard in the passenger side but i had that always. I drove it today morning a little bit but it was ok and now that i made i longer driving i stopped again and had that some seconds...

(the heads are new, the water pump to, ,the alternator too and i chekced oil three days ago and it was ok ( well i poured accidentally a little bit more)  the Anyone knows what is happening?

Thank you

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Water coming from under the dash is more than likely a leaking heater core...Will cause coolant loss and over heating.... Not to mention ruining your interior..Over filling the crankcase with oil can be just as bad as running it low on oil....What happens is..The crankshaft counterweights can splash into the oil when over full..Causing the engine oil to whip up into a foamy state  and not lubricate like it is supposed to which can be detrimental to an engine...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

you can bypass the heater core until you get a chance to fix it. How high is the oil level on your dipstick?

bypass how? like taking the hose off the firewall and putting it in return somewhere in the radiator?  the oil is not so high just a little bit

2 hoses go to the heater core. A feed line and a return line. cut the hoses and install a plastic nipple,or a old school radiator flush kit to join the hoses together. Bypassing the heater core. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

2 hoses go to the heater core. A feed line and a return line. cut the hoses and install a plastic nipple,or a old school radiator flush kit to join the hoses together. Bypassing the heater core. 

...and plug the the line at the water pump and the passenger cylinder head.

• Like 1

Okay, with the new heads and water pump cool. Now, I gotta ask. Did you replace the thermostat and the radiator cap with new ones??  9 times outta 10 it's normally the radiator cap causing the overheating issue. Other times it will be the thermostat. Rare occasions engine timing can cause the issue. And on the outset part would be head gaskets leaking even with new ones. 

I know the guys have talked about the heater core leak. So, no need to rehash that.

• Like 1

I finnally took it to the mechanic because i couldn't fix it by my own.. had to take carte of my baby. so i had a leak and i lost two gallons of coolant...  that was all the liquid when i stoped and started leaking but now its fixed, i drove it home and happy. now that i fixed all the biggest issues i am thinking on selling it so i can  buy a 1968 Lemans.