Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

replacing Air cleaner

Hi guys! 

So i started to change the air filter on the 73 LeMans 350 and when i opened the housing i found the air cleaner kind of like glued to the bottom lid... the air filter is very old and dirty and wanting to replace it i was a bit upset because it is kind of ruined. After that my  friend give me an Edelbrock pro flow air cleaner that is supossed to fit there but the original one has some cable in the inside and thermo something outside on the snorkel.. are these elements importants? should i try putting them somewhere? Also there is a rubber hose connected from the air cleaner bottom to the valve cover, i read about putting valve cover breathers so should i put a breather wih the new air cleaner?

Thank you!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Kim. Until you get separate air breathers for your valve covers, you should maintain the stock breather element going to the air cleaner. The stock replacement breather elements are cheaper but less eye appealing than chrome/polished aluminum air breathers. It's your call on that one. However, you need some sort of breather on the car for sure.

The thermo valves work to allow warm air to come off the exhaust manifold to come into the carb more quickly, especially in the winter. The valves work off either manifold or carburetor vacuum. If the manifold or carb is left unplugged, you are creating a vacuum leak that can cause other issues. 

As always, pictures help paint the scene here. I am assuming the Edelbrock filter is about the same size as the stock paper one and fits inside the air clearner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i changed the aircleaner.. i putted the hose that was going to the valve cover connected to the exit of the aircleaner and after trying it i can say it is much better.. i can hear a breathe and the car responds better. i made a carbtiming change too. now it is good but i had to tow the car because after parking it wouldn't start ( had this problem before) and a smoke went from the hood, i think a cbale burned a bit and it's not making contact or i burned the starter.. :(

Check the battery cable going to the starter. Make sure it is not coming in contact with either the engine or the exhaust manifold. I had a cable that did and I had intermittent starting problems. The problem was the hot manifold or engine melted the wire insulation and allowed metal-to-metal contact. This would ground out the starter. Once the engine cooled and everything contracted, it would start again.

• Like 1

yeah i saw some poorly putted wirings... it may be that, but i started again today after 2 days and it wouldn't start so i think the starter is fried. i think i am going to clean out this cable stuff and put new ones in the correct place

Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes you can get buy replacing just the starter solenoid for just a few bucks.

If it is the whole starter, then you have to ask yourself this question, do you want to put back a stock heavy duty starter back in it's place or purchase a smaller hi-torque mini-starter? Many guys swear by the mini-starter. For me, Lucy is quite content with a stock HD starter.

• Like 1

The stock Heavy duty is mainly heavy! However i do enjoy the mini light starter i got from Frosty! Would like a backup justa in case.

Start with the simple stuff first like frosty said. Old oil soaked cables would be my first bet to change. Assuming your 350 is stock and you end up needing a starter let me know as i have a heat shield that may fit your application. Alot of these got pitched by folks who didnt know why they were there to begin with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, indymanjoe said:

The stock Heavy duty is mainly heavy! However i do enjoy the mini light starter i got from Frosty! Would like a backup justa in case.

Start with the simple stuff first like frosty said. Old oil soaked cables would be my first bet to change. Assuming your 350 is stock and you end up needing a starter let me know as i have a heat shield that may fit your application. Alot of these got pitched by folks who didnt know why they were there to begin with. 

so i should go for a different starter than the stock one? 

No i would stay with stock. The heat shield i have is to cover the stock starter to keep it from getting hot from the exhaust manifold. Because i was talked into a deeper and wider oil pan my factory starter wouldnt fit, so frosty offered me his unused mini starter. works for my application. Also if ya break down on a road trip the factory stock one is likely available at any auto store.

4 minutes ago, indymanjoe said:

No i would stay with stock. The heat shield i have is to cover the stock starter to keep it from getting hot from the exhaust manifold. Because i was talked into a deeper and wider oil pan my factory starter wouldnt fit, so frosty offered me his unused mini starter. works for my application. Also if ya break down on a road trip the factory stock one is likely available at any auto store.

ohh  ok! i am waiting a friend to lift the car and see all this stuff i want to put it running again! i had always issues starting the car i hope now i can change that to better