Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

C8 Corvette could be 850 HP

stratman

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Agreed with ya @360Rocket. I think this could be a great car but a Corvette it is not.

The modern era "GTO" was a fantastic car, sleek, fast and overall performed well. However, I think GM's error was labeling it with the GTO badge, people took major offense to that. I still wouldn't mind owning one.

Guys, this isn't GM's first dance toying with a mid-engine configuration for the Corvette. Anyone remember the Aerocoupe concept car?

The Aussie GTO was still the fastest power-to-weight GTO built. John Sawruk said it himself. The next one was the '74 GTO X-body. Go figure. So I'd buy a 2004-06 GTO too. I think it would have done better if they were allowed to market it more and allow that particular platform to evolve. 

The Aerocoupe at the GM Heritage Collection

P1010001-A.thumb.jpg.b6de2dd4bac9ead697889b3175285151.jpg

• Like 1

• Founders

Could be a reason why it was only a concept ;) .While I am open to a mid-engine sports car from GM, there is going to be some major backlash for it being GM's flagship sports car IMO.

• Like 1

I tend agree with you Ringo. I think the Corvette is more than just the flagship for Chevrolet and GM, it's also the corporation's halo car.

To that end, the  Corvette has become an institution onto itself within GM as well as beyond. Name one other museum, in the world, dedicated to a single name plate, other the National Corvette Museum? The  museum itself is literally across the street from the Bowling Green Assembly plant.

So moving from front to mid-engine will be a huge institutional change. So why the change? I think 360 makes some excellent points. Obviously we have to hear GM's side of things - including why. Perhaps the mid-engine platform allows Chevy to chase after the Bugatti Veyron, who knows?

• Like 1

Frosty from what I hear GM is offering 2 versions of the vette. The current platform and the ZORA mid engine at a substantially higher price point. Past Corvettes have been attainable, simple in function and design, performance to cost ratio matched by no other car, and afforded the "common man" a chance to be part of an elite car family without paying a ridiculous "tax" to be part of that family. Those attributes will go away when the ZORA has a higher price point than a Ford GT. Don't get me wrong I was a fan of the Monaro GTO from a performance standpoint but was an easter egg for lack of a better description. No creativity, no nod to the past icon, and the materials used on this car, especially the interior ranked right up there with the Chrysler K car. AS old school GTO owners we were sent from GM countless surveys on what we would like to see "IF" a new GTO name badge was to be introduced and GM went into a totally different direction than we gave feedback. Lutz  just had to have a American built "Euro/German type" coupe to compete for the three German powerhouses customers. That was laughable and the end of Pontiac plain and simple.

The Plan

The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in the 1990–1995 C4 generation and 2009–2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000. It’ll be a stand-alone special that will peacefully coexist in Chevy showrooms with C7 models for a few years. The new platform, with appropriate bodywork and cockpit changes, could also support a revived Cadillac XLR (with ­better sales success than the last one, we hope). By 2020, we expect the C7 to take its rightful place in the National Corvette/Sinkhole Museum and that all future models—yes, even the base Corvette—will shift to the mid-engine platform.

• Founders
10 minutes ago, 360Rocket said:

Lutz  just had to have a American built "Euro/German type" coupe to compete for the three German powerhouses customers. That was laughable and the end of Pontiac plain and simple.

The Monaro is actually Aussie made but a lot of their influences do come from Europe so you are correct. In Lutz's book "Bean Counters VS Car Guys" it was very much his point of view that he wanted to bring muscle back to America but was forced with restrictions from throughout the company among other items. Thus bringing over the Monaro was second best.

14 minutes ago, 360Rocket said:

Frosty from what I hear GM is offering 2 versions of the vette. The current platform and the ZORA mid engine at a substantially higher price point.

7 minutes ago, 360Rocket said:

We figure around $150,000

That price point is insane but mid-engine isn't cheap to build. I'm still meh over it.

I used the term Monaro as a guide to the fact I was referring to the newer GTO instead of the classic GTO. Aussie GM car manufacturing recently ceased.

Accountants and lawyers have historically ruined good cars, companies, and exciting auto trends, clowns all of them.

Edited by 360Rocket
  • Like 1

I'm going to hold off on an opinion of the C8 styling till I see it with no camo (maybe we are looking at the Cadillac under the camo?). I like that they are going to build the C7 and the C8 (for a few years anyway) making the Corvette a two car lineup, like Ferrari, with front engine and mid-engine models. I'm also glad to see that there is no V6 available (forever,hopefully), only V8's.  I think I read (or maybe I made it up, lol), that there will be no bow ties or Chevrolet script to be found anywhere on it making the Corvette a kind of stand alone model, even though they will, of course, be sold only at Chevrolet dealerships. :my2cents:

Edited by stratman

I've often wondered that myself Pro. Clearly a lot of fab work is still required. One off custom wheels. Custom front and rear ends, etc., etc. etc.

Not to mention that the 1999 Concept GTO is really a wheeled buck. It is not even a working prototype. So the interior has to be fabbed from scratch (there is an artist rendering of the dash though).

If I were to build this, I would start with a '98 or '99 Firebird shell or firewall- just to get a legitimate VIN so I could drive it on the street and be '99 period correct - VIN wise. Perhaps use a wrecked 5th gen Camaro as a doner car as well for some of the key lines and structure (e.g. windshield/roof/back glass/fender lines).

Edited by Frosty

• Founders
23 minutes ago, Professur said:

I wonder how much it would take to turn a new Chumparo into that?

Believe there are similar efforts not exactly that but it's expensive. Here's a link: https://jalopnik.com/5799441/pontiac-gto-judge-revived-by-camaro-bending-enthusiasts

2 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Believe there are similar efforts not exactly that but it's expensive. Here's a link: https://jalopnik.com/5799441/pontiac-gto-judge-revived-by-camaro-bending-enthusiasts

Trans Am Depot and a few others have been around for awhile. Prolly six figures before all is said and done. And you still end up with Camaro VIN.

Edited by Frosty

• Founders
5 minutes ago, Guitarsextreme said:

I could build this and not make it look like a camaro body styling. But make the lines more pontiac styling and true to it's roots.

Do it! You won't!

I guarantee some is going to get fired over this. GM hates seeing their intellectual property get out into the public before they are ready to release it. Especially in a media fiasco like this.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some spy photos of the C8 Corvette. I am sure the GM brass are ticked to see these photos out.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096198_2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-spy-shots#image=100557643