Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

31pontiac's '31 Pontiac

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Sorry if I misled anyone, modifications have been going on since 1999. I thought I would share the journey from then up to it's current state (pic is pretty close to present condition). A list of "improvements" are as follows: Replaced all of the wood in the body with new wood from Jim Rodman, Chopped top (3" at the windshield and 2.5" at the rear window, narrowed '57 Pontiac rear housing with a '62 Pontiac 3:08 posi center section, mounted with coilovers and Pete & Jake's ladder bars, eliminated the parallel leaf springs from the front end and installed a Ford style transverse leafspring and drilled I-beam forged front axle with '39 Lincoln repro front brakes and Buick finned aluminum brake drums,  boxed and "X"ed the frame for strength and for power I have a '69 PONTIAC 428 with dual quad Carter 500s putting out about 400 HP on 87 octane. I will continue from the beginning next post. 

20170524_192617 (2).jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 31pontiac said:

Sorry if I misled anyone, modifications have been going on since 1999. I thought I would share the journey from then up to it's current state (pic is pretty close to present condition). A list of "improvements" are as follows: Replaced all of the wood in the body with new wood from Jim Rodman, Chopped top (3" at the windshield and 2.5" at the rear window, narrowed '57 Pontiac rear housing with a '62 Pontiac 3:08 posi center section, mounted with coilovers and Pete & Jake's ladder bars, eliminated the parallel leaf springs from the front end and installed a Ford style transverse leafspring and drilled I-beam forged front axle with '39 Lincoln repro front brakes and Buick finned aluminum brake drums,  boxed and "X"ed the frame for strength and for power I have a '69 PONTIAC 428 with dual quad Carter 500s putting out about 400 HP on 87 octane. I will continue from the beginning next post. 

20170524_192617 (2).jpg

That is what hot rodding is all about 31pontiac. I really do like the look of it. The only thing missing (for my taste) is the super wide M/T tires/cheater slicks. However, I also appreciate what you have as well. It looks like it could run on a dry lake bed today and be right at home. Excellent work. 

Thanks to everyone who commented.  The plan was/is to go for a '60's hot rod look with a few concessions  to safety and convenience.

First step is disassembly ( or  "deconstruction" as they say on TV ).

20170730_192527 (2).jpg

20170730_192831 (2).jpg

20170730_192733 (2).jpg

20170730_193605 (2).jpg

In keeping with the '60's theme, my first choice for powering the coupe was a Pontiac 421 or 389. Being unable to find either one that fit my budget, I widened my search to include Buick nailheads and Oldsmobile rockets and found a 1957 Olds J2 for a fair price. 

20170730_192954 (2).jpg

20170730_193818 (2).jpg

The frame needed to be strengthened to handle the increased HP (300 from a stock J2 Olds), so we modified an "X" made by Chassis Engineering for a '32 Ford to fit a '31 Pontiac frame and then added boxing plates with lightening holes. Also removed almost all of the original front crossmember and installed a '33 Ford front crossmember.

100_3971.jpg

100_3972.jpg

100_3973.jpg

100_3970.jpg

Work continued, adding the front axle, Buick drums, the narrowed rear, and wheels and tires. A lot of mockups were made also, in search of just the right look and stance for a hot rod.

20170730_195152.jpg

20170730_195412.jpg

OK! You’ve been havin some! Brings back some fond memories! One thing I would mention. Since you’re going Hot Rod, good choice, there is a paint that you might look at for the frame, if you’re not doing body color on the frame. Hammerite rust cap. This stuff has a very unique look and is the toughest paint I’ve ever used.

23 hours ago, Last Indian said:

OK! You’ve been havin some! Brings back some fond memories! One thing I would mention. Since you’re going Hot Rod, good choice, there is a paint that you might look at for the frame, if you’re not doing body color on the frame. Hammerite rust cap. This stuff has a very unique look and is the toughest paint I’ve ever used.

Thanks for the tip. I intend to paint the frame body color, but I'll keep it in mind for other possible uses.

After waiting over 4 months, the new wood for the body arrived late in December 2010. This is what all of the wood in the body of a 1931 GM 5W Coupe looks like. Before I began assembly, I covered each piece with 2 coats of System 3 2-part clear epoxy to hopefully preserve the wood and stabilize it from humidity-related expansion/contraction.

100_1518.jpg

100_1520.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a great project, And the detail is outstanding, I've always wanted to attempt such a project and had a plan but it just never came to be. My ideas will live through a fellow Cammers '31 project. Chris accomplished what I've always dreamed about. Glad to see you living your dream. Best of luck and look forward to further progress.

P.S. Glade to see some Poncho Power between those rails :D 

Here's Chris' OHC 6 Powered '31

38518378574_1c1376364f_b.jpg

38518378624_703050058c_b.jpg

25360146808_93719771b2_b.jpg

Sorry for the high-jack, just thought it might inspire you further! ;) 

Cheers.

Edited by SPRINT 6
  • Like 1

No need for apologies SPRINT 6, I don't consider it a hi-jack. I appreciate the comments.  I have watched the Cammer Coupe's progression from start to its current state (are they ever really finished?) on the HAMB and the PY Forums and have met him and seen it several times at the Pypes show in Hatfield. Nice car.

Near disaster struck in Feb. 2014. A partial roof collapse from the snow load on the building housing the '31 prohibited me from working on the car for over 5 months. Fortunately a non-loadbearing wall was enough to stop the progression of the collapse before the roof caved in on my car and equipment.

0217141540.jpg

0217141559.jpg

0217141556.jpg