Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

389 in a LeMans?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes you could but it was called the GTO option and would have been trimmed as such not as a Lemans.

Agreed. The 64 and 65 GTOs were the highest optioned LeMans, as Sprint 6  stated with the GTO option added on top of the LeMans. So your VIN should decode as a LeMans, first three digits are 237. Then you need to look at the accessory codes on the data plate on the firewall and look at the fifth accessory code, it should be “N” for the GTO option. Then you should have a 389 otherwise you should have a 326.

Edited by Frosty

This Car is definitely a LeMans with a 389 so I guess the 389 was added at sometime later. The engine was made a couple of months before the car and the car has many options so I thought maybe Pontiac was like Chev and if you knew the dealer you could get just about any combination. ( I worked at a Chev dealer back then) I don't have much information about the car, it was sold at the Mecum Anaheim auction Nov 16th 2012  and in Dec it went to Al & Eds Autosound in Hollywood for a very high end install which included Focal speakers, Alpine amps, Kenwood subs and a Rockford Fosgate processor along with dynamat throughout and a Clifford alarm system. Somebody spent a big wad on that install!  I would really like to know more about the cars history so if anyone out there knows the car please share the info. Thanks- Dave

Well first off you can order the information on how the car left the factory. A company called Pontiac Historical Services Online (or PHS for short) has all the detail on how you car was built. They can give you replica build sheets and window sticker. It costs about $75 per VIN. It will tell you the color, options, and what dealer the car was shipped to. It's well worth the money.

http://www.phs-online.com/

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

389 Only available with GTO option.....Hope these photos help....Nice car..Took pics with phone sorry they are sideways..... This is the actual manual put out by Pontiac division GM in 1965 not a reprint....

151287079331923381412.jpg

15128708493351404525476.jpg

1512870886131503180420.jpg

15128709287011981621262.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Nothing wrong with a larger displacement between the tubs :D I ran a '66 326 model with a 400 for years. I topped it with as much of the basic 326 parts to make it appear stock and had a lot of fun running the wheels off it. That's one of the best things about Pontiac engines no big block small block so swapping engines/parts isn't that bad.   ;) 

• Like 1

Have to agree with Sprint..More cubic inches are absolutely cool...Especially when properly camouflaged....Then released on unsuspecting "victims"....:)

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP