Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Legal Racing!

So i have a new addiction! Drag racing! No not fast men wearing women's clothing...But tire shredding ,ear to ear smiling, loud exhaust, foot to the floor Racing!  Onondaga speedway in,well where else but Onondaga Mi ! It's a 1/8 mile track. Which is perfect for me. I dont need to go 130 and possibly destroy my car. (in time but for a noob this will work LOL)  My first pass i  ran a blistering speed of 66.20 and a time of 10.61 not bad for a prius but sadly i was running the Lemans. I smoked the tires all the way down the track,it was cool but not what i was looking to do. My second run was a little better. I let the air out of the rear tires to  20lbs instead of the 35 i came in on,and instead of just using my right foot for brake and gas i used the left for the brake and held the gas to about 2k rpms. This time i ran 82.67 and a 8.7250 not too bad for a rookie. And when i say rookie i had no idea what i was doing at all. pre stage? stage? where are these stages LOL the rest of the day it was pretty much the same for times. My Reaction times went lower to a .3 though. I still was blowing the tires off all day but i learned to feather it some.

Tomorrow i will run 10lbs in the rear's maybe lower? and keep all my tools in the trunk to see what happens. I really need to find a way to get the car moving without the tire's going up in smoke.

I also will be unhooking my front sway bar,i have seen others talk about this on the innaweb. Running cooper radials is not the best tire im sure.

I did meet a fellow pontiacker who offered to let me borrow his slicks! Really cool guy with a beautiful 67 tempest. 

I did manage to smoke a vette,beat my buddys 68 camaro and another buddys 68 Firebird.  Vette guy didnt want to talk to me...big surprise. Not really. But i couldnt have had a better day unless it was with fellow FP folks.

After the races i drove to elkhart indiana to get a seat for my motorcycle then to battle creek to fix a dryer for another buddy then home.Almost 500 miles for the weekend.Not too bad. since i got my bike i put MAYBE 100 miles on the dirty girl this summer. The bike almost 3k...i wonder if i can catch up with the bike in miles tomorrow? I'll try!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Joe, I am happy and sad for you. Glad you have a new hobby, its just one that gets more expense the faster you want to go. At some point you will have to make the decision to make the Dirty Girl a race car or keep her as is and go find a race car. 

I wont be upgrading to race stuff. But its nice to know she can handle the abuse.  I do not want a track car, i enjoy driving her on long trips. I'll get some slicks and thats about it. 

9 hours ago, Joe Carrier said:

I wont be upgrading to race stuff. But its nice to know she can handle the abuse.  I do not want a track car, i enjoy driving her on long trips. I'll get some slicks and thats about it. 

Met your bud with the Camaro...Why doesn't the guy with the Firebird hang with us?

Maybe his car is way to nice for our junk. 

Hopefully in the next year I will have more time to do stuff like this.

10 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Met your bud with the Camaro...Why doesn't the guy with the Firebird hang with us?

He has a cabin up north he just bought,and a bike,speedboat,pontoon boat he's trying to die with all the toys LOL

12 minutes ago, Joe Carrier said:

He has a cabin up north he just bought,and a bike,speedboat,pontoon boat he's trying to die with all the toys LOL

So he’s in the lead?

Hey Joe, not the song, enjoy the hell out of it. I did the 1/4 for about 5 years and then went on to road course & saloon. Now that was fun! Still the 1/4 mile always brings a smile to my face when I remember it! It will be hard to not keep tweaking the car to make it a little quicker. Keep an eye on the rear springs an axle! Probably the biggest abuse, besides the driveshaft, is there!

17 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

f8a40a7ef38e3275ee2b3b4212e4e877.jpg

Joe - you trying to imitate GE and go thru tires like there is no tomorrow?

Let me guess. So long as there is a smile on your face and you can afford tires, the answer is a resounding "Hell yes"!

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

What is he doing driving down the I75 looking for deer?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Let me guess. So long as there is a smile on your face and you can afford tires, the answer is a resounding "Hell yes"!

Tires are like condoms..ya wanna play? ya gotta burn some..LOL

• Haha 1