Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have an ‘05 G6 GT with brand new 215/50R17s on, less than 5k miles. Got cut off and pushed into a curb, broke my rim, running on my donut, as I am having a hard time finding a 17” replacement rim. I do, however, have a full set of 235/55R17s...will they fit?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Most likely not, the 235/55s are 2” bigger in diameter & about 3/4” wider. Are the wheel off sets the same? Best bet is put one on, see if it fits. Spin it. If so set it on the ground, check again & test drive it carefully!

Also if you are able to use them be aware that your speedometer will be off. You will actually be going faster than the speedometer shows!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure the bigger rims will not fit the front.  May be able to put 2 bigger ones on the back (you want it to ride level) until your able to find another correct rim.  As last Indian said, carefully check clearances.  Call local salvage yards and/or  local GM dealership.  Speak to the rep in the collision shop, they will usually have a contact for replacement stock rims.  Had the same prob here this summer and had to find 3 rims for my daughters G6. 

• Like 1

Cruzn, attached is a website that I recommend! I’ve dealt with them for years and they have reasonable prices. They are also good folks for service. If they have your rim I doubt you’ll beat their price and you’ll have it quick.

http://www.myoemwheels.com/

• Thanks 1

I like to use Percy's WheelRite measuring tool to be sure a certain tire or wheel will fit Lucy.

It's less than $100 and it's easy to use on any vehicle. You can order it from SummitRacing.com and have it priority shipped if you need it in a hurry.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Gonna see if they fit later today. I also have access to a set of Bonneville 225/60R16 that I can try out, also. I'm thinking that set may work better, considering stock G6 are 225/50R17 so, they would have more clearance. Just need something to get me by for a while until I am able to swing the $200 + for a matching replacement. I'll let ya'll know what fits, lol

Cruzn, I don’t think the Bonneville rims will fit. I believe they’re 5x115mm and your G6 is 5x110mm. Again if I’m wrong and they fit they are larger in diameter so the speedometer will be off, slower than what you are actually driving. The two links below allows you to look at different size wheel and tire options to see the difference.https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=215-50-16X6.5ET45&wheel2=225-45-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp