Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Jeep Compass crashed, Porsche 718 GTS, UAW's job threats: What’s New @ The Car Connection

FeedBot

2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk off-road2017 Jeep Compass named Top Safety Pick by IIHS The IIHS said Tuesday that the redesigned 2017 Jeep Compass earned its coveted Top Safety Pick award, albeit with some caveats. What's New for 2018: Alfa Romeo After more than two decades of teasing, Alfa Romeo is back in the U.S.—and with a lineup of cars designed for the real world, not just...

View the full article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The UAW has a huge legitimate reason to be worried about the electrification of the automobile for a couple of reasons.

First is no internal combustion engine/transmission/differential means fewer moving parts and no need for skilled workers to produce them.

Second the further outsourcing of larger electrical components and electrical sub-assemblies will further erode UAW member ranks to non-union or overseas suppliers.

With the UAW failing to win organizing votes to transplant automotive manufacturers and parts suppliers in the South, the prospects of continued erosion of UAW membership remains high for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Frosty I feel bad for all of us, but for you guys (UAW) the most! Unfortunately yearly all Americans are clueless as to what the ramifications of this is going to be! The ecological waste streams will more than triple. After about ten years into the mainstream production of these cars the maintenance issues will more than double and those costs will make conventional car maintenance look cheap! Two of every three car related industries will be in financial trouble. 
This is all being driven by big energy and the sad part is no one believes it and those that do say it will be cheaper! Have they looked at their electric bill? I could go on, but to what point?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

Last Indian, I am with you. The UAW is just the tip of spear.

I have expressed in numerous other threads that just because EVs are being built, where is the supporting infrastructure we need to support our driving life styles in EVs? Where are the charging stations that need to be as common as gas stations? What about certified service stations that know how to work on high voltage electric and perhaps fuel cell technology safely? What about the necessary upgrades to the power grid needed to support this massive shift from fossil fuels to electric vehicles? How are the power companies going to generate that huge increase in demand?

So when I hear countries like France, China, and the UK want to have totally emissions free vehicles by 2025-2040 and stop selling fossil fuels completely, I think they are out of the freakin' minds. The billions that have to be invested in such a relatively short period of time is amazing and no one seems to comprehend that it will be private enterprise AND taxpayers combined who will have to pay for it.

This will also mean a fundamental paradigm shift in job and skills for our kids and grand kids. More computer, electrical, and integrated circuit knowledge combined with mechanical knowledge - just to repair these vehicles.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Last Indian, I am with you. The UAW is just the tip of spear.

I have expressed in numerous other threads that just because EVs are being built, where is the supporting infrastructure we need to support our driving life styles in EVs? Where are the charging stations that need to be as common as gas stations? What about certified service stations that know how to work on high voltage electric and perhaps fuel cell technology safely? What about the necessary upgrades to the power grid needed to support this massive shift from fossil fuels to electric vehicles? How are the power companies going to generate that huge increase in demand?

So when I hear countries like France, China, and the UK want to have totally emissions free vehicles by 2025-2040 and stop selling fossil fuels completely, I think they are out of the freakin' minds. The billions that have to be invested in such a relatively short period of time is amazing and no one seems to comprehend that it will be private enterprise AND taxpayers combined who will have to pay for it.

This will also mean a fundamental paradigm shift in job and skills for our kids and grand kids. More computer, electrical, and integrated circuit knowledge combined with mechanical knowledge - just to repair these vehicles.

Frosty you hit the nail on the head! A Tesla in a combustion engine world appears great and cheap from an energy standpoint, but just watch what happens when the shift to all EVs takes place! Right now more than .40 cents of a gallon of gas is tax, about a fifth of the overall unit cost, but the tax on electric consumption is between 25 % & 30 % right now. Without gas consumption at its current levels something will have to change. So add 20% to 25% or 30% and you’ll have 45% or 50%, but wait you’ll consume about half as much energy by unit so the tax rate per unit will have to be even high, but now on your whole bill not just what you use for your car! And it gets worse! This will be the proverbial carrot in front of the horse, once they have gotten everyone to change, or should I say forced, the cost and added cost will skyrocket and be implemented! Fees for battery disposal, waste stream charges, electronic disposal fees and the list will go on and the fees will dwarf what is charged now. 

Wait till you see the problems that occur with these cars from winter temperatures and salt. Plus whatever mileage you think you’ll get, cut it by a third in winter, maybe more. Between needed heat, and the impact that cold has on components and the fact that electrical energy is zapped at low temperatures, things aren’t as electrifying as folks would have you believe.

Think about this for just a little while! How efficient is it to spend money to acquire and refine an energy that will do work, but instead consume that energy to make another energy to do the same work? No matter what anyone says with regard to the efficiency of a power generation plants, it’s not! As that statement defies physics at its core. Oh I know that gas and diesel cost more for a unit of work than electricity, but only because the profit margin is ten fold that of electricity for the manufacture. In the end we’re just screwed!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1