Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

DSM Help/Discussion

I have a few problems and think I know whats going on but wanna see if anyone agrees with me.

I was driving home I got on it and shifted out of first no problems second around 3500 RPM's the car cut out(had a slight pause) the went normal and the cut out again.

The next day I had my friend come over and look at it. He played with it a bit and got no power in the 3500 RPM/4000RPM area. He was playing with the turbo lines all night. We found a T from the turbo with only 2 side with lines the other open. WE were going to set up the boost controller but it was to late so we called it a night.

I removed the headers the next day bc they had a crack in them.

Correct me if I am wrong but heres what we had come up with(again not much experience in the turbo/DSM world)

1. MAF is not reading right (it is stock but have a GM MAF with a translator)

2. The diaphragm on turbo wasnt moving

3. Headers crack so there was not boost building.

So our first plan was to get headers welded and then see if that helps out at all? would that be where I should start? Anymore ideas on what could be wrong

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have a few problems and think I know whats going on but wanna see if anyone agrees with me.

I was driving home I got on it and shifted out of first no problems second around 3500 RPM's the car cut out(had a slight pause) the went normal and the cut out again.

The next day I had my friend come over and look at it. He played with it a bit and got no power in the 3500 RPM/4000RPM area. He was playing with the turbo lines all night. We found a T from the turbo with only 2 side with lines the other open. WE were going to set up the boost controller but it was to late so we called it a night.

I removed the headers the next day bc they had a crack in them.

Correct me if I am wrong but heres what we had come up with(again not much experience in the turbo/DSM world)

1. MAF is not reading right (it is stock but have a GM MAF with a translator)

2. The diaphragm on turbo wasnt moving

3. Headers crack so there was not boost building.

So our first plan was to get headers welded and then see if that helps out at all? would that be where I should start? Anymore ideas on what could be wrong

i can help with this.

1. is this a 6bolt or a 7bolt?

2. i do not recommend welding the exhaust turbo manifold bcuz out of experience, the welds will not last with as much heat as motor produces. i would suggest to replace with a t304 stainless steal manifold whether it be tubular or equal length.

3. unless you are going to tune with a dsm link (either version), then do not go with the GM MAF atm since you will have to tune the GM MAF to read the necessary air that will compute the necessary fuel needed to run the car right. I had a buddy who installed one and wired it all right but car was running like crap since he couldn't tune it.

4. test out the waste gate. if you have a buddy with a good strong air compressor, put some pressure on the waste gate and see if it opens up. 14b turbo's from the 1g aren't that bad but you might have a bad turbo.

i can help with this.

1. is this a 6bolt or a 7bolt?

2. i do not recommend welding the exhaust turbo manifold bcuz out of experience, the welds will not last with as much heat as motor produces. i would suggest to replace with a t304 stainless steal manifold whether it be tubular or equal length.

3. unless you are going to tune with a dsm link (either version), then do not go with the GM MAF atm since you will have to tune the GM MAF to read the necessary air that will compute the necessary fuel needed to run the car right. I had a buddy who installed one and wired it all right but car was running like crap since he couldn't tune it.

4. test out the waste gate. if you have a buddy with a good strong air compressor, put some pressure on the waste gate and see if it opens up. 14b turbo's from the 1g aren't that bad but you might have a bad turbo.

1. Its a 6 Bolt

2. It was only getting welded to get running when I get some cash I was gonna buy a new one.

3. I have a DSM link but no idea how to set it up or use it lol

4. I have a 16G turbo in it. and Yes that testing was going to happen next time he stopped by.

1. Its a 6 Bolt

2. It was only getting welded to get running when I get some cash I was gonna buy a new one.

3. I have a DSM link but no idea how to set it up or use it lol

4. I have a 16G turbo in it. and Yes that testing was going to happen next time he stopped by.

perfect. did you know that a 6bolt can handle up to 9k rpm off of the stock internals at a max of 15.7lbs of boost?? its friggin amazing! :) i had mine tuned to redline at 9k but i was only boosting 11 to 12lbs of boost.

my buddy actually got his ECM (DSM) link V3 and its an amazing tool. just install the software on your laptop first and then connect the unit up to your current E-Prom ECM.

You can do it but don't boost anything higher then 7lbs bcuz the more boost you generate, the more heat and pressure you can build and the crack will come right back.

where did you purchase the turbo from or do you know where it was purchased from?

perfect. did you know that a 6bolt can handle up to 9k rpm off of the stock internals at a max of 15.7lbs of boost?? its friggin amazing! :) i had mine tuned to redline at 9k but i was only boosting 11 to 12lbs of boost.

my buddy actually got his ECM (DSM) link V3 and its an amazing tool. just install the software on your laptop first and then connect the unit up to your current E-Prom ECM.

You can do it but don't boost anything higher then 7lbs bcuz the more boost you generate, the more heat and pressure you can build and the crack will come right back.

where did you purchase the turbo from or do you know where it was purchased from?

I didnt know that but thats awesome. but i bought it with ebuilt shortblock, 1g big rods, NPR pistons, acl bearings, balance shaft eliminator, new oem oil pump, new oem water pump, new timing belt, walbro 255 fuel pump, 16g with o2 housing with dump and 3" apexi N1 exhaust, ceramic coated pacesetter header, ARP headstuds, koyo radiator with slimline fans

When I get to installing the Datalink Ill have to get some more info from you bc im clueless lol

The 16G turbo came with it some not sure where he got it from. I thought he said he got it from a eclipse he had but not sure.

I didnt know that but thats awesome. but i bought it with ebuilt shortblock, 1g big rods, NPR pistons, acl bearings, balance shaft eliminator, new oem oil pump, new oem water pump, new timing belt, walbro 255 fuel pump, 16g with o2 housing with dump and 3" apexi N1 exhaust, ceramic coated pacesetter header, ARP headstuds, koyo radiator with slimline fans

When I get to installing the Datalink Ill have to get some more info from you bc im clueless lol

The 16G turbo came with it some not sure where he got it from. I thought he said he got it from a eclipse he had but not sure.

im going to have to go view some pix. i wanna see this bad boy